This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2012 1:02 PM by EJP RSS

Disapearing Posts

970974 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have made several posts in the last few days and every one of them has dissapeared. Anyone know why
  • 1. Re: Disapearing Posts
    gimbal2 Guru
    They could have been moderated, meaning you were breaking forum rules. If you have questions about posts, you might want to try asking them in the report abuse thread:

Report Abuse in this thread
  • 2. Re: Disapearing Posts
    970974 Newbie
    I can't imagine they were in violation of Forum rules as they were very simple in context. There is a thread in this Forum that I came across but since the thread was closed I had to open up a new thread and give a link reference to it and all I did was ask the OP of that thread if he ever resolved his problem. I am interested in the same thing and I have a answer for him that would help him with his problem but I wanted to know if he has already resolved it. That's all my post was about. Then it dissapeared. So, thinking that maybe I didn't really post it (just thought I did, but I know I did) I entered the post again just to make sure and again the next day it was gone. Strange Forum.
  • 3. Re: Disapearing Posts
    EJP Guru
    Moderator: Your posts were deleted as noise. The most recent locked thread in this forum is dated February 2012. Posters don't sit around watching their dead threads.

If you have a contribution to make to the forum I suggest you just post it instead of asking questions of people who aren't here.
  • 4. Re: Disapearing Posts
    970974 Newbie
    @EJP

First of all, I am a new member and not familiar with all the rules and by-laws and such.

Second, I had no idea that the member was no longer here since I did find his profile so I assumed he was still active.

Third, I had something to contribute but thought that I would ask him if he ever got it resolved and if not I would give him the help he needed if he wanted it.

Fourth, I think if you or any moderator deletes members posts you could at least have the etiquette to inform that member as to why his posts were deleted instead of just letting him wonder what's going on without a clue.

Edited by: jmsrickland on Oct 29, 2012 4:34 PM
  • 5. Re: Disapearing Posts
    EJP Guru
    First of all, I am a new member and not familiar with all the rules and by-laws and such.
    It's just common sense. An eight-month old post isn't going to get watched, is it?
    Second, I had no idea that the member was no longer here since I did find his profile so I assumed he was still active.
    I didn't say he wasn't still a member. I said he wasn't watching the thread, and I should have added 'probably'. There is no evidence to the contrary.
    Third, I had something to contribute but thought that I would ask him if he ever got it resolved and if not I would give him the help he needed if he wanted it.
    Why not just post it anyway? Benefits everyone that way, not just the OP if he hasn't solved his problem, which is the purpose of the forum after all.
    Fourth, I think if you or any moderator deletes members posts you could at least have the etiquette to inform that member as to why his posts were deleted instead of just letting him wonder what's going on without a clue.
    I didn't do that because it would just add to the noise level which I was trying to reduce.
  • 6. Re: Disapearing Posts
    gimbal2 Guru
    jmsrickland wrote:
    @EJP

Luckily there is the forum faq which you did not read.
  • 7. Re: Disapearing Posts
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    gimbal2 wrote:
    Where would that be exactly?

And which part of it specifically did the posts violate?
  • 8. Re: Disapearing Posts
    gimbal2 Guru
    jschell wrote:
    gimbal2 wrote:
    Where would that be exactly?
    Well go the main java forums page and do a page search for "FAQ".

BUT! I must be thinking of the old sun forum faq or something, as the Oracle one is nowhere near as complete as I remember reading once. Or I'm remembering ghosts.
    And which part of it specifically did the posts violate?
    As it is written now: none. I shall now wallow in the shadows for a night to rethink my actions.
  • 9. Re: Disapearing Posts
    970974 Newbie
    Posted by gibal2:

Have you read the FAQ?

There is only a few lines, maybe 19 or so. I didn't see anywhere it said I couldn't create a Thread and in that thread include a reference link to an old thread. Also, I didn't see anything that told me the OP of that thread was no longer here.

And that is what a moderator deleted my post for. He said it was noise. He said I shouldn't be making post to people who are no longer here and to a thread that is old.

The member is still here. Here is is handle 840850. Click on it and you see his profile.

Edited by: jmsrickland on Oct 31, 2012 2:34 PM
  • 10. Re: Disapearing Posts
    970974 Newbie
    EJP wrote:

It's just common sense. An eight-month old post isn't going to get watched, is it?

So, you are saying that if a moderator believes you didn't use common sense you get your post deleted.

And how do you know if a member is or is not watching a certain thread? I, for one never stop watching
    my Threads because someday, someone will come along and point back to it and want to discuss it.

Common sense has nothing to do with this. It is common practice (at other sites I belong to)
    to open a new Thread and give a reference to an old Thread if you are interested in discussing
    it.

Now, are you saying that posting a reference link to a old thread is not allowed here?

EJP wrote:

I didn't say he wasn't still a member. I said he wasn't watching the thread, and I should have added 'probably'. There is no evidence to the contrary.

Yes you did say that! Here is what you said a couple of posts backs:

"If you have a contribution to make to the forum I suggest you just post it *instead of asking questions of people who aren't here*."

EJP wrote:

Why not just post it anyway? Benefits everyone that way, not just the OP if he hasn't solved his problem, which is the purpose of the forum after all.

Because it had to do with GIF logic that he wasn't doing correctly and to post my correction would be like starting in the middle
    of a very complex algorithm and very likely have little or no meaning to most members since I see no other threads around here on that subject and his was the only one I found
    so I natually just directed my post to him.

Is this a violation?

EJP wrote:

I didn't do that because it would just add to the noise level which I was trying to reduce.

I do not see where I violated any Forum rules and I believe you had no right to delete my posts but what bothers me more is the deleting of the posts and not letting me know why they were deleted and letting
    me just hang there not knowing what is going on. It is quite rude to delete someone's post and not have the courtesy to tell that person why you or whoever it was
    that did the deleting to not let that person know the reason.
  • 11. Re: Disapearing Posts
    EJP Guru
    So, you are saying that if a moderator believes you didn't use common sense you get your post deleted.
    In over 25 years of Usenet and Internet forms I have never known this principle to fail: any post that starts 'so you are saying' immediately goes on to assert something that the poster didn't say. As here. I didn't say that, and it is a wilful misreading of what I did say.
    And how do you know if a member is or is not watching a certain thread? I, for one never stop watching
    my Threads because someday, someone will come along and point back to it and want to discuss it.
    I've answered that. The complete absence of evidence to the contrary continues. And when Oracle converted the site they removed the 'watch thread' facility.
    Now, are you saying that posting a reference link to a old thread is not allowed here?
    See above re the first four words.

The point is that there is a long standing policy here of not reviving dead threads. I've been here 15 years and I've seen it in action hundreds if not thousands of times. I don't happen to agree with it myself, but as a moderator for the last few years I am bound by the existing policies. I don't see any difference between reviving a thread and starting a new one that just refers to the old one under the same fallacious assumption that the OP will respond, and I should add that I've never actually seen an OP respond to such a question in 15 years if it even a few months old.
    Yes you did say that!
    So let me clarify that I meant 'here reading his eight month old thread'. As if I hadn't already clarified it.
    so I natually just directed my post to him.
    Is this a violation?
    As far as I am concerned, yes it is. The purpose of these fourms is to benefit everyody, and there is a long history of deleting things such as requests to post code privately, offers to help privately, etc.
    I believe you had no right to delete my posts
    On the contrary. See the Terms & Conditions. The site owner has complete discretion over the site and that is effectively delegated to the moderators.
    but what bothers me more is the deleting of the posts and not letting me know why they were deleted
    I've now given you the reason, several times. As expected, all we are getting is further argument.

All this does is confirm my original decision, marginal as it may have been in the first place.

If you want to continue this discussion please do so in the 'Report Abuse in this Thread' thread in Java Programming, where it will be read by other moderators, who may have different views.

EDIT: I find that contrary to this request the discussion was continued here. Deleted it and locking this thread.