This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2012 10:07 AM by 971460 RSS

Sending attachment in ODI using odisendmail

971460 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Need assistance.

I have one maxl which loads data into Hyperion and generates error file say 'kickouts.err' in particual path. And we are sending mail to users with attachment of that .err file which was generated during the data load.

Problem is: whenever kickouts are there, ODI picks up the .err file in the specified path and send it to users, which is fine. But when there are no kick outs, .err file does not get generated and in send mail step ODI is picking the old .err file in the specified path and sending as attachment.

Pls let me know what are the possible solutions to prevent this?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
VNK
  • 1. Re: Sending attachment in ODI using odisendmail
    SutirthaRoy Guru
    968457 wrote:
    Hi,

Need assistance.

I have one maxl which loads data into Hyperion and generates error file say 'kickouts.err' in particual path. And we are sending mail to users with attachment of that .err file which was generated during the data load.
    You can rename the error file with nane like 'kickouts.err_date' in the initial sets of your package.
    If the kickouts are there then it will generate new 'kickouts.err' error file and send it across
    If th kickouts are not there then .err file does not get generated and in send mail step ODI will not find any .err file to send as attachment.

Problem is: whenever kickouts are there, ODI picks up the .err file in the specified path and send it to users, which is fine. But when there are no kick outs, .err file does not get generated and in send mail step ODI is picking the old .err file in the specified path and sending as attachment.

Pls let me know what are the possible solutions to prevent this?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    VNK
  • 2. Re: Sending attachment in ODI using odisendmail
    971460 Newbie
    Hi, Thanks for notes. We are currently doing this solution as work around. Renaming the old .err file and doing loads. But we are looking for permanet solution. Also basically expectation here is we do not want to rename the old .err file and not to keep old files. pls help with any other possibilites!

I am looking for some options in ODI (using systate/timestamp) to check the generated/existing .err file each time it generates with timestamp/sysdate. If the .err file exisits with sysdate/timestamp then ODI has to pick that latest file and send it to users. If ODI has this features to implement, pls share your thoughts how to implement this!

Thanks in advance!
    VNK
  • 3. Re: Sending attachment in ODI using odisendmail
    mRainey Journeyer
    Hi VNK,

Can you just move the file to another directory after sending the email, like an Archive directory? Use a procedure with the Operating System technology and write a simple script to move the file.

Is there any reason to leave the file in the same directory?

Regards,
    Michael Rainey
  • 4. Re: Sending attachment in ODI using odisendmail
    971460 Newbie
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for inputs. Yes we can move the old error file/s to different directory with timestamp etc., We are looking for ODI standard feature (if any) and not workaround procedure, to check the sysdate of the error file and has to pick up the latest file(if exists) and send via emai and if not sending some message with no attachment.

Thanks,
    VNK

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points