This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2012 5:08 AM by teits RSS

How to create another standby

Fayn_dba Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Experts:

In my environment Oracle database 11gR1 is running & dg is configured i.e >> 1 primary & 1 standby. In near future space issues will arise for standby. I want to create 1 more standby with max disk space, but how?? Active dataguard is configured where report are generated from Standby, i dont have any idea where & what changes should be made in Primary pfile & new standby pfile.

Please guide

Thanks in Advance
  • 1. Re: How to create another standby
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;

There are several options.

1. Move the Standby ( cold copy) to another disk. Set defer on the Primary and cancel recovery on the Standby and shut it down. Then scp the cold database to a new location.

So you can use SQL to create the SCP script as shown below.
    set heading off
    set feedback off
    set pagesize 100
    set linesize 400

select 'scp '||a.name ||' server_name:' || a.name as newname from v$datafile a;

select 'scp '||a.name ||' server_name:' || a.name as newname from v$controlfile a;

select 'scp '||a.member ||' server_name:' || a.member as newname from v$logfile a;
    I have set DEFER on the primary and moved the entire Standby database to another server this way. After I changed the tnsnames and set the primary back to ENABLE Data Guard just picked up where it left off.

2. Use Rman Duplicate to create a new standby.

Set DEFER on the Primary and create a "replacement" standby.

http://www.visi.com/~mseberg/duprman2.html

Change the Tnsnames as needed.

Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on Nov 1, 2012 6:42 AM
  • 2. Re: How to create another standby
    teits Journeyer
    Fayn_dba wrote:
    In my environment Oracle database 11gR1 is running & dg is configured i.e >> 1 primary & 1 standby. In near future space issues will arise for standby. I want to create 1 more standby with max disk space, but how?? Active dataguard is configured where report are generated from Standby, i dont have any idea where & what changes should be made in Primary pfile & new standby pfile.
    in addition to mseberg copy method....i like to set these parameters
    on primary init. para modify or add:
    1. LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_3
    the location to send redo log for the new standby e.g LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_3='SERVICE=new_standby
    2. LOG_ARCHIVE_CONFIG='DG_CONFIG=
    add the new_standby db_unique_name to this list e.g LOG_ARCHIVE_CONFIG='DG_CONFIG=(primary,old_standby,new_standby)'

On new standby init.paramete modify:
    db_unique_name
    LOG_ARCHIVE_CONFIG='DG_CONFIG=

Tobi

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points