3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2012 8:34 AM by Philip Stoyanov-Oracle RSS

How to Scale SDDM for Large Designs

marcusafs
      We have an Oracle Designer repository with 5 databases with about 20 schemas that need to interact. Three of the databases are COTs systems while two are for custom development. On importing to SDDM we have almost 7000 objects and it takes forever to save the design. SDDM does not scale very well. If I add one column to one table I have to save the ENTIRE design. I hate to think about what that will mean when it comes time to synch with subversion. Does it have to compare everything in the ENTIRE design to determine what has changed?

Am I missing something? Is there a way to save just one table without saving the whole design? If not SDDM is only useful for small silo databases that don't need to interact. Can I have 20 schema based designs that can relate to other designs in the same database? For instance we have multiple application based schemes in a single database and they all refer to one reference schema with shared look up data in the same database.

I wish we could stay on Designer but our sysadmins do not want to support legacy OS's defined as anything older than MS Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7. And Data Modeler has some really nice features but doesn't support our current design approach. We like to provide our developers with diagrams with all the tables they will be interacting with on all the databases.

Any other users out there with large designs like this? How do you use SDDM?

Marcus Bacon
        • 1. Re: How to Scale SDDM for Large Designs
          Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
          Hi Marcus,
          we have almost 7000 objects
          How do you count these 7000 objects? Only tables or it includes views and foreign keys as well.
          If it's 7000 tables and related amount of foreign keys and views on top of them then it's really large design to handle with Data Modeler. You need 64 bit OS, more memory (physical and set also in datamodeler64.conf) and
          need to keep main diagram closed.
          If I add one column to one table I have to save the ENTIRE design
          Only changed objects (one table in your case) will be saved. If you add or delete table then Objects.local file will be regenerated.
          what that will mean when it comes time to synch with subversion. Does it have to compare everything in the ENTIRE design to determine what has changed?
          It'll will take a while until you get such design into subversion repository but after that if you change one table you'll see only that table as changed.
          Is there a way to save just one table without saving the whole design
          There is a "save" at model level, but as I said you can use save at design level as well - only changed objects will be saved.
          What version of Data Modeler do you use?
          Can I have 20 schema based designs that can relate to other designs in the same database
          In Data Modeler 3.2 tables from other models can be referred thus you can have 20 models (500 objects each) and you can select to load only one or two models you need to work on.
          We like to provide our developers with diagrams with all the tables they will be interacting with on all the databases.
          I hope that doesn't mean 7000 tables on one diagram.

Philip
          • 2. Re: How to Scale SDDM for Large Designs
            marcusafs
            Phillip,

Thanks for the reply.
            How do you count these 7000 objects?
            We have about 2500 entities and tables and no, not all on one diagram. This is the number that was imported from Designer. That is why I am struggling with SDDM because in Designer we divide and conquer. We have about 20 applications for our custom work and 3 COTS applications. We share/shortcut entities/tables needed from the COTs apps into our custom applications.
            You need 64 bit OS
            I have been lazy on this one since the 32 bit installs JVM for me. I have a 64 bit box with 16 GB of memory and dual quad core CPU's, 2 - 500 GB disk drives which are slow and not RAID. Guess I will uninstall again and install 64 bit before complaining again.

Saving takes a long time and the last time I imported I received some errors yet the log page said 0. When I tried to save it, SDDM blew itself away. I would open a support request but right now I do not have support because the government people dropped it and we have been in the process of getting it back for several months. Any thoughts on the errors,
            In Data Modeler 3.2 tables from other models can be referred thus you can have 20 models (500 objects each) and you can select to load only one or two models you need to work on.
            I keep hearing rumors of 3.2 and I may try to wait until it is out before we migrate. I know, Oracle doesn't comment on release dates so I won't ask if it will be out in the next few months.
            There is a "save" at model level, but as I said you can use save at design level as well - only changed objects will be saved. 
            How do you save at these different levels?
            What version of Data Modeler do you use?
            I am currently using SDDM 3.1.3.709.
            • 3. Re: How to Scale SDDM for Large Designs
              Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
              We have about 2500 entities and tables
              I assume 2500 entities and 2500 tables. If you work only on logical model then you can select to not load relational model - "Preferences>Data Modeler>Show select relational models Dialog" check box
              Saving takes a long time
              More memory will help on that - the size of design is not for 32 bit OS and memory settings
              I keep hearing rumors of 3.2
              Well it's good to have such version as 3.2 (somewhere in the future) and to say we'll have it in 3.2. Unfortunately soon or later release day will come and reality will appear. May be it's time to stop writing about 3.2 and move to 3.3 :)
              How do you save at these different levels?
              Context menu in the browser - Logical model, relational model, physical model nodes

Philip