14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2012 9:22 AM by hyperion start RSS

Essbase migration (from backup)

hyperion start
      Gurus,
      In the environment I work in, we backup Essbase everyday. We have script to backup all the artifacts, such as essbase.sec, essbase.bak, essbase.cfg, .otl, .csc, .rep, .rul, etc.
      We have several cubes in Essbase and we are supposed to recreate the same cubes in a different server. We do not have any cubes in the new server, so we need to have the same cubes as we have now in our production environment. How could we do this task? One may be via LCM but I would like to know if there are any other options such as copying, etc.
      All the files we have are under \\server\d$\Hyperion\Essbase. So is there any way we can copy the whole essbase folder and paste it in the target server?
      OR do we need to do something else?
      Guidance is much appreciated.
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: Essbase migration (from backup)
          I would not copy the entire folder. If this isn't an EPM application and not a Planning application, it should be pretty simple.

-Create the app/db on the new server
          -Stop the app
          -Copy the OTL, RUL, CSC, RPT files to the new server
          -Start the application
          -Do a level 0 export on the source server, move it to the target, load, and run an aggretation

You would want to replicate the app and server settings as well. If you had to copy 100 apps, I would recommend some other automated ways. With only a few apps, this is the down and dirty way to do it.

----
          Kyle Goodfriend
          http://www.in2hyperion.com
          h4. Please make sure to assign helpful/answered to responses if applicable - it rewards those who help and benefits the user community.
          • 2. Re: Essbase migration (from backup)
            JohnGoodwin
            If the apps don't exist then I would use EAS to quickly migrate the apps as it will create the apps and move the objects, data would need to exported/imported.
            Then you could look at automated solution using either LCM, maxl and file copying.

Cheers

John
            http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/
            • 3. Re: Essbase migration (from backup)
              JohnGoodwin
              Just to add if you want to quickly back up your database .pag, .ind, .otl, .tct, .db then you can use the maxl archive to file e.g

alter database appname.dbname [force] archive to file BACKUP-FILE;

To restore you can use

alter database appname.dbname force restore from file BACKUP-FILE;

Cheers

John
              • 4. Re: Essbase migration (from backup)
                hyperion start
                Thanks Kyle and John,
                Well Kyle, you have suggested copying the OTL, RUL, CSC, etc. How about the CFG, DB, DBB, SEC, BAK, etc files. Dont we have to do anything with these files. Copying data is the last part, and I can either use EAS or MAXL script to load the data, however, I am concerned about creating the cube. Any guide/tutorial would be wonderful. Of the applications, some are pure essbase cubes and some are planning applications. So what do you suggest.
                John, I had tried to use the EAS MIGRATION WIZARD like the way you have suggested, however, the target is not showing. I tried to add a new Essbase server and it showed in the target, but it does not connect.
                Do you have any other suggestions. Could you please give some details about file copy method and migrating planning application via the schema method.
                Thanks
                • 5. Re: Essbase migration (from backup)
                  JohnGoodwin
                  It might be worth having a read through the backup guide to get some ideas http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17236_01/epm.1112/epm_backup_recovery_1112200/launch.html

Cheers

John
                  • 6. Re: Essbase migration (from backup)
                    The files you mentioned will get created when you create the app, load data, etc. For the Essbase cubes, just create the app and dbs. Nothing special required. If they are planning apps, that is a whole different story. You should copy the planning app, and when you refresh, it will create the application, outline, etc. You will still need get the rul, csc, and rpt files over AFTER you refresh the planning app.

If you want to know how to copy the planning app, that is a bit more complicated. Is it a classic or EPMA Planning app?

I would recommend reading John's link, and using LCM.

Edited by: Kyle Goodfriend on Oct 24, 2012 1:38 PM
                    • 7. Re: Essbase migration (from backup)
                      hyperion start
                      It is a classic application, and we are trying to not use the LCM which is why it is being a little complicated or wierd i should say. It would be great if you could give me a little insight in copying planning application. The version is 11.1.2.1 to the same one.
                      Thanks.
                      • 8. Re: Essbase migration (from backup)
                        JohnGoodwin
                        If you want to migrate a planning application not using LCM then have a search in this forum as it has been covered lots of time e.g Re: migrating planning app using schema in 11.1.2.1

Cheers

John
                        • 9. Re: Essbase migration (from backup)
                          hyperion start
                          John and Kyle,
                          Thank you both for sharing your knowledge.
                          Well, I am thinking about using the LCM because while reading your links and then going over some of the docs, it seems to be more sensible.
                          Some questions,
                          In HSS, when i click the application group, and under FOUNDATION when I click SHARED SERVICES and export it, I have got the exported file in the FILESYSTEM. Also I have the option to save the migration definition. Do I need to copy the migration definition to the target environment or do i need to just copy the file I named during the EXPORT?
                          Also, we are migrating the whole SYSTEM to the new environment which consists of Planning applications, essbase cubes, reports and scripts, rules files, business rules, data forms, and all the artifacts.
                          Is it possible to achieve this via LCM?
                          ALSO, is there any sequence we need to follow in doing the export and import using LCM?

thank you again.
                          • 10. Re: Essbase migration (from backup)
                            The migration def file is used in conjunction with the utility to automate via command line. It can also be used for documentation. You don't need this to perform the migration.

I typically use the migration def file with the utility to automate LCM migrations for archive/backup. During the development lifecycle, I typically have that run every few days.

There is a sequence, but I typically perform a full export. Then I import in the appropriate steps. For instance, you can't load all of shared services security until the apps are created. In planning, you can build the app but can't import dim security until the shared services users are provisioned.
                            • 11. Re: Essbase migration (from backup)
                              hyperion start
                              Thank you for your input.
                              Can you explain if you dont mind when you mean "full export" I mean is there a way to do so using LCM.
                              And while importing, what do you suggest me to import first. In HSS, there are several things under APPLICATION GROUP such as - BR, Default App group, Planning, Essbase cluster 1, Foundation, Reporting and Analysis, etc.
                              ALSO, under Foundation, there is Application Metadata, and the LCM documentation suggests not to export-import if we are importing in a different server. How could we achieve it?
                              Thanks
                              • 12. Re: Essbase migration (from backup)
                                JohnGoodwin
                                It is probably worth going through the Oracle by Example on migrating a planning application using LCM, it is based on an earlier version of 11 but the concept is the same and it will give you a good idea - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/performance-management/tutorials/pln-lcm-obe-095602.html

Cheers

John
                                • 13. Re: Essbase migration (from backup)
                                  hyperion start
                                  Thank you John.
                                  This is a very thorough guide.
                                  • 14. Re: Essbase migration (from backup)
                                    hyperion start
                                    Kyle you had mentioned while answering my question to essbase app copying that "I need to replicate the app and server settings as well" after copying the OTL, RUL. CSC etc files. Could you tel me a bit more about it if you do not mind please. Like an example or a slight process,
                                    thanks