This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 6, 2012 4:36 AM by Balazs Papp RSS

auto backup of control file was deleted when issued "delete backup", why?

user450325 - oracle Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am confused by "delete backup" in RMAN, please refer to below situation, any suggestions and points would be appreciated.

9.22: I made a cold backup of full database(data set) with auto backup of control file under RMAN configuration.

9.25: I also made a cold backup of full database(data set) with auto backup of control file under RMAN configuration(completed same operation as 9.22)

Today: I restore control file from auto backup of 9.25 and performed command: " delete backup", I understand this command will delete all data set backup of 9.25(this is also my purpose), but it deleted all data set of 9.25 and auto backup of control file of 9.22. I proposed just delete all data set of 9.25 for space release, however the auto backup of control file of 9.22 also was deleted, why this could be happen? Now I just left all database data set of 9.22 and auto backup control file of 9.25.

and I am going to recover database to 9.22 using 9.22 database data set, is it possible to do that without its control file?

thanks
Running

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points