This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 5, 2012 7:34 AM by Levi-Pereira RSS

RMAN vs BCV - Performance and Cost

881487 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

We are currently having Symmetric Array for storage and use BCV for restoring data loaded in Primary DB into different environments (Dev/Perf/Prod) as required. BCV provides great performance in restoring/moving data(>5TBs) between different DBs but it comes with the huge cost for Tier 1 storage array.

* How is RMAN option compared to BCV in performance. Some comparison numbers(duration for xTB on this vs that) will be really helpful
* Is it possible to restore from the current DB with Tier 1 storage(High Cost) to DBs with Tier 2 storage(Low Cost). Possibility of this will help to retain some environments with Symmetric and non-critical with other options. What options do I have for that? RMAN? What will be the performance like?
* Last question I have is totally different to the above. Will RAC work with Symmetric without impacting usage of BCVs for DB restore/datamoves.

Thanks
  • 1. Re: RMAN vs BCV - Performance and Cost
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hi,

There is no RMAN vs BCV because they are different products, despite the name "backup" they do different thing.

RMAN feature:
    * Backup Incremental
    * Backup to TAPE/Disk
    * Duplicate/Restore Database excluding Tablespaces
    * Recovery at Block Level
    * Restore at Tablespace/Datafile Level
    * Recovery Point in time
    * and so on

I have no knowledge on BCV, but I know FlashCopy (IBM) that are similar tools.

As far as I understood BCV do mirror images of active volumes. So, If you corrupt block on Production volumes that can be replicated to Backup Site. There is a big difference between BACKUP DATABASE and BACKUP VOLUMES/LUNS. You must be aware of that.

You can combine both technologies do not exclude or put one against the other.

See how these technologies are used.
    http://www.emc.com/collateral/software/white-papers/h4262-red-backup-wndw-rcvry-time-oracle-11g-rman-timefinder-clone-wp.pdf

Invite a seller's EMC so you can better understand the technologies and their implementation.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points