This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2012 6:36 AM by Guenter Reberschak, TU GRAZ RSS

formatting issues

Guenter Reberschak, TU GRAZ Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We are using Oracle Designer and are evaluating Data Modeler
1) I am using different colours for the same Entity in different ERDs.
It doesn't seem possible in Data Modeler? I change one entity to one colour and it shows throughout all different subviews where I use this entity.

2) It is not possible to move a self join to different location.

3) again self joins, it is not possible to make the line bolder, well at least for the degree optional, but who has mandatory self joins?

4) in Designer it was very useful to change the gridsize because of layout reasons.
  • 1. Re: formatting issues
    Philip Stoyanov Guru
    It doesn't seem possible in Data Modeler? I change one entity to one colour and it shows throughout all different subviews where I use this entity.
    You can have two presentations of the same with different color even on the same diagram - use format option in context menu and then clear "Use default color" and set "Apply to this view only"
    2) It is not possible to move a self join to different location.
    It'll be possible in 3.2
    3) again self joins, it is not possible to make the line bolder, well at least for the degree optional
    I logged a bug for that

Philip
  • 2. Re: formatting issues
    ad 1) Thank you. I missed that, my fault!

ad 2) and 3) again thank you

ad 4) To explain it better. We try to have as little as possible crossings of FK-lines to make the ERD clearer to understand. And with the gridsize set to smaller sizes we can move those lines closer to each other without loosing too much readability.
    Setting the gridsize higher we can adjust the entities so that each has the same distance to the other. And bigger gridsizes makes it easier to count.
  • 3. Re: formatting issues
    Philip Stoyanov Guru
    Hi,
    Setting the gridsize higher we can adjust the entities so that each has the same distance to the other
    Changing grid size will be possible in 3.1.4 patch release.
    And bigger gridsizes makes it easier to count.
    I also need glasses for small letters :)

Philip
  • 4. Re: formatting issues
    ad 3) to bold a selfjoin was done in 3.1.4 Thank you

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points