This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2012 7:41 AM by Mehabub Sheikh RSS

APEX Listener with Free environment

Mehabub Sheikh Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I was going through APEX Listener Installation guide and found that the supported installations are
*1) with WebLogic*
*2) Glassfish &*
*3) OC4J*

All of the above are associated with licensing cost. Is there any free installation scenario? As 11gXE is free to store upto 11GB of user data, I was thinking to install it with Glassfish for my small application which is not expected to have 11GB of user data over the next 4-5 years. Today I had a chat with one of the local Oracle Sales guy and I found that licensing cost is huge for Glassfish.

I don't know whether standalone APEX Listener will serve the purpose of having my application available over the internet. Please forgive me; I am a novice in the field of networking.
Could you please provide me the details of the free or low cost alternatives of the above scenarios? One option I know is to go for hosting services for low cost. But to me that is also huge.
Any kind of help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mehabub
  • 1. Re: APEX Listener with Free environment
    Prabodh Guru
    Hi,
    I was going through APEX Listener Installation guide and found that the supported installations are
    1) with WebLogic
    2) Glassfish &
    3) OC4J

All of the above are associated with licensing cost. Is there any free installation scenario? As 11gXE is free to store upto 11GB of user data, I was thinking to install it with Glassfish for my small application which is not expected to have 11GB of user data over the next 4-5 years. Today I had a chat with one of the local Oracle Sales guy and I found that licensing cost is huge for Glassfish.

I don't know whether standalone APEX Listener will serve the purpose of having my application available over the internet. Please forgive me; I am a novice in the field of networking.
    Could you please provide me the details of the free or low cost alternatives of the above scenarios? One option I know is to go for hosting services for low cost. But to me that is also huge.
    Any kind of help is appreciated.>
    Supported in this context is supported by Oracle in that you can open an SR with support.oracle.com or not.
    ApexListener runs on most J2EE Containers. Free ones include GlassFish Community Server and Tomcat. ApexListener runs on GF as well as Tomcat, but you cannot run to Oracle Support if you have an issue. You have to seek help here, on this forum, if you cannot resolve things yourself :(

Cheers,
  • 2. Re: APEX Listener with Free environment
    Mehabub Sheikh Journeyer
    Hi Probodh,

Thanks for the reply.
    Could you please help in getting the details of installation with Tomcat and Glassfish Community Server?
    I want to use it for commercial purpose but with no cost or low cost.

Thanks,
    Mehabub
  • 3. Re: APEX Listener with Free environment
    Prabodh Guru
    Could you please help in getting the details of installation with Tomcat and Glassfish Community Server?
    I want to use it for commercial purpose but with no cost or low cost.>

Download GF Server OpenSource Edition (first link) from here, http://glassfish.java.net/public/downloadsindex.html#top
    Use the installation steps for GF in the ApexListener documentation.

Cheers,
  • 4. Re: APEX Listener with Free environment
    Mehabub Sheikh Journeyer
    Hi Prabodh,

You mean to say installation steps are same for Oracle Glassfish server and Glassfish server open source edition???
    Are there any differences?

Thanks,
    Mehabub
  • 5. Re: APEX Listener with Free environment
    Prabodh Guru
    You mean to say installation steps are same for Oracle Glassfish server and Glassfish server open source edition???
    Yes.
    >
    Are there any differences?
    >
    a. Open Source not officially supported by Oracle.
    b. Technically, there might be some minor ones. But for the purpose for ApexListener they are identical.

Cheers,

PS: We are using GF Open source for the past couple of years. Earlier it was 3.0.x , now it is 3.1.2.x

Edited by: Prabodh on Nov 5, 2012 8:41 PM
  • 6. Re: APEX Listener with Free environment
    Mehabub Sheikh Journeyer
    Thanks Prabodh for the information.
    I will install the same.

Thank you very much.

Mehabub

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points