This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2012 6:38 AM by gimbal2 RSS

Simple for Java guys but not for me,,,

972653 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I intend to build an application that will serve as a front end to connect to backend database records. Ideally it will have a UI similar to SQL query tools like TOAD, SQL developer but will be more user friendly so as to avoid making user put complete queries. I have a tomcat server for my work. Please suggest the best way to create such application for a beginner

I guess it will be JSP but need expert opinions
  • 1. Re: Simple for Java guys but not for me,,,
    rp0428 Guru
    Welcome to the forum!
    >
    I intend to build an application that will serve as a front end to connect to backend database records. Ideally it will have a UI similar to SQL query tools like TOAD, SQL developer but will be more user friendly so as to avoid making user put complete queries. I have a tomcat server for my work. Please suggest the best way to create such application for a beginner

I guess it will be JSP but need expert opinions
    >
    There is no way at all, let alone a 'best way', for a beginner to create such an application.

Why - that is the first question I would ask. There are already good tools that are free such as sql developer. So why do you think another tool is needed. And why do you think you could do a better job than those well-funded efforts have been able to do?

And why do you think your project won't end up in the trashpile of history like so man other misguided ventures?

Just enter 'sourceforge sql developer' into your favorite search engine and you will get over a half million results and the 'hot' ones on the first page are mostly projects that have been abandoned for many years now.

Any project you embark on, unless it is for your personal enrichment, should fulfill some need that other offerings don't fulfill.

The first step for any serious application project is to create a business plan and a marketing plan that shows the market for such a product and how you plan to achieve a return on investment.

The next step would be to create a requirements document that outlines what functionality the application needs. One part of that would be what databases you want to support: Oracle, DB2, sql server, etc.

You are a long way from needing to know how to actually write such an application until you are near completion with the specs.
  • 2. Re: Simple for Java guys but not for me,,,
    939520 Explorer
    I agree with the previous post. I suggest instead to gain some practice, you create a database table and display it in a JSP page. Add a filter to allow the user to select a subset of all the records in the table. Allow him to update, insert, or delete a subset of records displayed (basic CRUD operations). Provide validation to prevent the user from entering bad data. Display the validation error message next to the record that is bad. Next, if the user selects 100 records to display, only display the first 10 records on the JSP page. Provide links to display the next 10 records, etc. When the user navigates from one JSP page back to the previous JSP page, the altered values he entered should still be there, perhaps in yellow to show what hasn't been saved yet. You can next consider creating a parent and child table (primary/foreign keys) and how you would display them.
  • 3. Re: Simple for Java guys but not for me,,,
    972653 Newbie
    The idea is to give such interface to juniors/ business users who do not want to enter queries or enter them as less as possible
  • 4. Re: Simple for Java guys but not for me,,,
    EJP Guru
    A beginner should not be creating applications for beginners.
  • 5. Re: Simple for Java guys but not for me,,,
    gimbal2 Guru
    EJP wrote:
    A beginner should not be creating applications for beginners.
    Nice!
  • 6. Re: Simple for Java guys but not for me,,,
    aksarben Journeyer
    You've bitten off way more than you can chew. As the other posters said:

1. If you're are the beginner level, you should (ideally) get several years experience under your belt before you even consider tackling this kind of project. It combines several technologies (database, Web, etc.), any one of which would be a significant challenge to you.

2. You're re-inventing the wheel. It's unlikely you will make it rounder.
  • 7. Re: Simple for Java guys but not for me,,,
    gimbal2 Guru
    aksarben wrote:
    You've bitten off way more than you can chew. As the other posters said:

1. If you're are the beginner level, you should (ideally) get several years experience under your belt before you even consider tackling this kind of project. It combines several technologies (database, Web, etc.), any one of which would be a significant challenge to you.
    Well, I did such a project as a junior and it managed to give me a very solid foundation in (Java) web dev. But you need a senior guiding you, not a forum.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points