This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2012 3:12 AM by 76600 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Exadata and Oracle VM
    76600 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Actually re-visiting your comment on the SPARC supercluster, would like to see the equivalent engineered system for the intel platform on oracle Linux !

A general purpose platform for all tiers.
  • 16. Re: Exadata and Oracle VM
    robinsc Explorer
    The problem as I see it is you are targeting a very niche market , i.e one for which an ODA + sunfire server is too small and and eigth rack of exadata and exalogic is too large. this is probably not large enough a market to be sustainable and it would eat into the standard exadata/exalogic use cases. So I don't see this happening in the near future. I bet Oracle marketing would reason that if some one is willing to buy a rack comprising of an eight exadata and eight exalogic in a single rack , they probably wouldn't mind buying two ( since there is not likely to be any price difference) and this would give customers room to expand if they wanted to consolidate.
  • 17. Re: Exadata and Oracle VM
    76600 Newbie
    Thank you for your reply.

Actually rather than a niche market, it's the case of a startup, where a relatively small volumes are currently present, and plan to spend 18 month development thean roll-out products where substantial more volumes are expected.

A 1/8 Exadata rack is affordable, even a 1/4 if this is flexible enough to allow all tiers. The nature of the business dictates for a DR site, so if you consider a 1 Exalogic + 1 Exadata for production, than 1 + 1 replicated for the DR site would be cost prohibitive now, but acceptable in three years plan.

Hence why a general purpose engineered system similar to the T4-4 for the Exastack Intel range, would be ideal,, otherwise perhaps a T4-2?

Essentially the first step entry level is still too high, unnecessarily because all the components are available literally off the shelf.
  • 18. Re: Exadata and Oracle VM
    76600 Newbie
    I have re-visited the Oracle engineered systems and have a general question:

Given Oracle offers general purpose engineered system SPARC supercluster T4-4, would tere be the possibility of having an equivalent for the X86 platform?

i.e. Exadata 1/8 rack + 2X SUN X3-2 servers + ZFS Storage Unit in the same rack, which essentially is an Exadata + Exalogic = Exastack general purpose engineered system.

Since this has been done for the SPARC supercluster T4-4, there is no technical difficulties achieving the same for the X86 platform with Oracle VM / Oracle Linux.

The argument being, this would give another entry level to SME / startups to enter the Exastack range, than scaling out as business / volumes grows.

My perception this is really an Oracle marketing strategy rather than a technical one perhaps?

Appreciate any point of views.

Best regards.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points