This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 7, 2012 3:04 AM by Philip Stoyanov RSS

Copying Design to New Computer

211605 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
What is the best way to copy a "design" from SDDM on one computer to SDDM on another computer? By "best," I mean the way that preserves as much of the original as possible.

Section 1.6 of the User Guide discusses this, but I find the discussion somewhat vague. I get the impression that a Save is better than an Export in the case where the recipient software is also SDDM (is this true?). But, the text doesn't indicate what file(s) should be transported to the target computer, or where they should be placed on it (if that matters), after either a Save or an Export. And it isn't entirely clear if a Save must be followed by an Open on the target, and an Export by an Import, or if mixed combinations of them will also work.

TIA for any advice,

Mark

Edited by: Mark on Nov 6, 2012 8:32 PM
  • 1. Re: Copying Design to New Computer
    Philip Stoyanov Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hi Mark,
    What is the best way to copy a "design" from SDDM on one computer to SDDM on another computer?
    You need to move "design name".dmd file and related "design name" directory from one computer to another. Different people will have different definition for copy - I'd put them in zip file, move that archive to target machine and extract there - location doesn't matter but you shouldn't go too down on directories tree because you can breach limit of 255 characters for path on Windows.
    By "best," I mean the way that preserves as much of the original as possible.
    Nothing to worry if you don't use domains or use design level domains only. If you use "installation level" domains (those in defaultdomains.xml file) you need to move them to other computer as well.

You don't need to use save or export in this "copy to another computer" operation.

Philip

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points