This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2012 6:37 AM by RogerP RSS

EM Modules

RogerP Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
What in the heck are these PCIe EM Modules that are located on the back of the SUN Fire x4800? Can I put a regular PCIe card in them? I want to add a PCIe expansion card so I can add full height PCI cards.
  • 1. Re: EM Modules
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    I'm pretty sure they're described in the system documentation.
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19140-01/index.html

I'd peek in the x4800 Service Manual as a beginning point, but those EM's do seem to be exactly as you asked.
  • 2. Re: EM Modules
    RogerP Newbie
    They are a pain in the butt! The only two manufacturers of EM cards that may help are: Adax and Magma, though neither has a new card.

Oracle, as usual, has trapped us into the expensive, hard to use option and does not, nor will ever offer a low-price, practical solution. They are solely interested in offering platforms for their DB programs.
  • 3. Re: EM Modules
    800381 Explorer
    RogerP wrote:
    They are a pain in the butt! The only two manufacturers of EM cards that may help are: Adax and Magma, though neither has a new card.

Oracle, as usual, has trapped us into the expensive, hard to use option and does not, nor will ever offer a low-price, practical solution. They are solely interested in offering platforms for their DB programs.
    You bought hardware designed to support closed-chassis, hot-pluggable IO cards, and now you're blaming the vendor? You didn't understand the hardware you were buying when you bought it?
  • 4. Re: EM Modules
    RogerP Newbie
    Sorry to take so long to reply, but yes I do blame the vendor. Unfortunately, when I ordered the x4800 the Kepler 20 GPU had not been developed and I did not realize how limited my options would be with the x4800.

I stand by my earlier statement - Oracle decided to employ an expensive PCIe solution that almost no one supports - the ExpressModule. Go ahead and compare the prices and availability of regular PCIe cards and EMs. There are plenty of high quality PCIe cards that sell for about 1/10 the price of EM cards - and there are NO PCIe expansion EMs - so if you want to, lets say, add a expansion chassis and use GPU cards - you can't!

The earlier SUN Fire x4250 had the short form PCIe card slots - but they are the slower x8 PCIe gen 2 and there is a physical problem with the slots that prevents many cards from being used.

I love the OS and many features of the Oracle SUN systems - but too often the hardware does not allow third party solutions, is limited by Oracles limited vision of what the users want, is not competitively priced, and is outdated.

(I like the UltraSparc t* series processors, but they are not good with long thread I understand, so they do not perform well for our kind of work).

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points