This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 2:32 AM by 971118 RSS

Oracle VM 3.1.1, Oracle VM Server, PeopleSoft Templates and networking

971118 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have installed Oracle VM Manager on an Oracle Linux x86_64 system, all freshly installed, and two Oracle VM Server 6 systems also freshly installed. These three servers are each connected to two networks. One is a 192.168.15.0/24 ("net-A"), and the other is 10.8.15.0/24 ("net-B"). net-B also has the fileserver for the repositories et al directly attached. "net-A" is connected to the outside world. This is all working great; all servers can intercommunicate, can be reached from other devices on each network, et cetera. I can ssh from any machine on the network to these machines, and vice versa. All servers correctly use the internal and the external DNS, and can communicate with Google, et cetera. Excellent!

Now, I have downloaded the templates for PeopleSoft HCM9.1, and PeopleSoft PeopleTools 8.52, and have successfully created Virtual Machines from these. The VMs start up and run successfully, and I have gone through the startup configuration prompts using the Oracle VM "Launch Console" feature.

My problem is that I have not yet figured out how Oracle VM Networking is supposed to work, and so I cannot get these machines to talk to each other nor to the outside world. And I cannot ping them from other devices on the network, either. Obviously, there's no advantage to having a PeopleSoft server running when one cannot attach to it. I've read through the documentation numerous times, and I've pored through http://itnewscast.com/chapter-7-oracle-vm-networking-8021q document over and over, but I get lost in the virtual-upon-virtual-upon-virtual world. Maybe (probably) it's me, but I am not getting how this fits together, and where/how the virtual-ness of the network ends. Plus, all of the configurations in that itnewscast.com Chapter 7 article involve at least one switch (virtual maybe? not clear!) between the VMM and the VMS, and I don't have a switch invoved in this network... it's flat, with everything on the same wire.

My Oracle VM network is super simple at present: There is exactly one network ("ps-net"), and it runs all five network channels (server management, live migrate, storage, etc.). Both servers are on this network, and the NIC used is the "net-B" NIC. There is no VLAN, and the IP addresses are set by DHCP. Bonding, the configuration display says, is Not applicable. Since these devices are on the same NIC as "net-B," I provided the 10.8.15.x network information when prompted, and assigned them fixed IP addresses on that network. For "gateway," I specified the address of the VMM, not knowing what else to use. And, as I said, these VM don't talk to anything, not even to each other.

My needs are very simple. The shame is I've built all this up for the express purpose of running those two templates, and it's been a battle, to say the least, to get this far. Who can point me to the error of my ways, or a better way to accomplish this end?

Thanks for your time, and for reading this far!
  • 1. Re: Oracle VM 3.1.1, Oracle VM Server, PeopleSoft Templates and networking
    user12273962 Pro
    What is your path to the internet and what subnet is being used for your VM guests?

Defining networks basically segments various traffic on the VM servers. For example. If you're only using one network and that network includes the "bond" used for management..... then all you're traffic is only going to use that network. Your VM guest are probably on your 192.168.15... network. In this scenerio, you're not getting any benefit of the other subnet. You should segment your network definitions and define a setting that only includes VM and Storage. This should be on the 10.8... subnet.

What DHCP addresses are your guests getting?

Also, you probably shouldn't use DHCP for your peoplesoft deployment unless you're using long IP lease times. Even then, your deployment is subject to the availability of the DHCP server.
  • 2. Re: Oracle VM 3.1.1, Oracle VM Server, PeopleSoft Templates and networking
    971118 Newbie
    Thanks for your reply, @user12273962. The path to internet is on the 192. network.

The VM network is on the eth1 NICs (which means the 10. network).

The permanent leased IP addresses given by DHCP are 10.8.15.47 and 10.8.15.48, with netmask 255.255.255.0. The IP addresses I assigned to the guests are 10.8.15.101 and 10.8.15.102. (You didn't ask, but the VMM is at 10.8.15.49, and it is specified as gateway for the two guests.)

I'm not a networking expert; I get by OK with simple nets. Can you please clarify what you mean - by example - about segmenting the definitions? Sorry to seem dense. For starters, I think for what you suggest, I would need a third NIC in the machines, right? (I have that, but currently not configured.) Sorry I don't quite understand, yet.

By the way, if you're wondering why I would use DHCP with a permanent lease (counter-intuitive, I agree), it is so that I can "auto-configure" DNS, netmask, domain name, gateway, DNS hostname, et cetera when the card is enabled. To me (back to simplicity) that makes good sense. Others might disagree.

Regards,
    Dennis
  • 3. Re: Oracle VM 3.1.1, Oracle VM Server, PeopleSoft Templates and networking
    user12273962 Pro
    You said you defined only one network in the VM Manager. That network includes everything. In such a scenerio, You have your VM and Storage segment running on the default "bond" which is the 192 subnet.

You can't just define separate subnets on the VM servers themselves. You must also define network definitions that separate the various functions of the VM environment.

I would recommend ( and I think most people would ). That you create at least 3 network definitions. One for management/live migration, one for heartbeat, and one for VM and storage. I honestly believe this is a minimal requirement if you're going to several VM guests on any one server. Each of these networks should be on their own subnet/vlan. I personally don't use VLAN tagging but it is supported. I personally handle my vlan definitions at the switch level. I don't require tagged packets.

The management is obvious. The heartbeat network should be dedicated to a single nic as to not have management/VM/storage traffic interrupt the heartbeat. The VM/Storage definition should on a dedicated nic as to not intermix traffic and to dedicate "bandwidth".

I believe your VM guests are actually running on your 192 network. The VM server maybe bridging intercommunication but your VM guest are being published on the 192 network. This might explain your issue. Just a thought. I maybe misunderstanding what you've done.

I don't quite understand why you have the VMM acting as a gateway. Is the VMM have multiple nics? If you're using it as a router..... sometimes linux routing can be a little complicated with a multihomed linux server.
  • 4. Re: Oracle VM 3.1.1, Oracle VM Server, PeopleSoft Templates and networking
    971118 Newbie
    Sorry, I've been away and won't be able to get back to this until (at least) this evening.

I don't see how this could be hosted on the 192.* net, since:
    The hosts were configured with their FQDN like ora-vms1.ps.mydomain (where ps.mydomain is unique to the 10.* net)
    And the hosts were added to the network using their eth1 interfaces

But, as indicated before, I'm no expert, and I see no flaws in your assessment. It makes me wonder, though, how one would (or even could possibly) control which interface each of these proposed networks would use at the VMM. Seems to me, though I hadn't thought of it until now, that that is a gaping hole in the design of this networking "solution."

But I digress. When I have the opportunity to get my hands dirty with this again, I will `ifconfig eth0 down` on all three servers and see what the effect is. Thanks for hanging in there.

Miscellaneous responses to your reply:

"I honestly believe this is a minimal requirement if you're going to several VM guests on any one server" -- I have no such plan. As I said, I have fought my way through this mess for one goal: to get a PeopleSoft virtual machine running in such a manner that we can try various CSS settings and test their effects at leisure. We don't currently have any grandeous idea of replacing our VMWare knowledge base with Oracle's solution. Of course, it's possible someone may demonstrate why this is better than the alternative, but I'm not holding my breath on that one, and have nodesire_ to start a war here. I like things friendly!

"I don't quite understand why you have the VMM acting as a gateway..." Originally, I did not. Originally, it was the DNS server, which is also truly a gateway. This was the latest effort to get things working. And it seemed to be a step forward, since at least I was able to ping the "gateway," where before that was not a possibility.

Edited by: Dennis Lovelady on Nov 8, 2012 6:36 AM
  • 5. Re: Oracle VM 3.1.1, Oracle VM Server, PeopleSoft Templates and networking
    user12273962 Pro
    The network definition within the VM Manager controls what goes on where. It is really not difficult. If you have multihomed servers... I recommend you define separate network definitions for each nic or bond the nics on the same network.

There are several tutorials available that explain this in depth.

Here is a link to a "Top 10 Tips to Accelerate Oracle VM Deployments"

https://event.on24.com/eventRegistration/EventLobbyServlet?target=registration.jsp&eventid=397505&sessionid=1&key=98777F8A64E64FB32B62B0E732C17C1C&partnerref=VirtualizationHomePage&sourcepage=register

You must register but it is a very good webcast and you can download the final slides in pdf.

No offense.. but you have a rather peculiar deployment. If you have to set the VMM as the gateway to make things "work"... then you really don't understand how Oracle VM works.

Friendly question....

Tell me how Vmware ESX is easier to use?

If you want something simple to use for virtualization then use virtualbox. It works great. More flexible than anything free from VMWare. However, when you compare ESX to Oracle VM.... there are few things different. Yes. VMware is a more mature offering. There are some really cool things you can do with ESX that you can't with Oracle VM.... but.... if you can't understand the simple concept of running different aspects of the VM environment on different "network segments"..... then those "cool things" are obviously beyond your expertise.
  • 6. Re: Oracle VM 3.1.1, Oracle VM Server, PeopleSoft Templates and networking
    971118 Newbie
    "No offense.. but you have a rather peculiar deployment. If you have to set the VMM as the gateway to make things "work"... then you really don't understand how Oracle VM works" - LOL! Have you forgotten the subject of this message thread? Has it escaped you that the issue I was facing, was that networking wasn't working and I was looking for help? You've been kind to provide pointers - I will pay attention to the "Top 10 Tips to Accelerate Oracle VM Deployments" presentation (Thanks for that link, too!).

How is VMWare easier? Let me count the ways. :) How about the fact that if you want something in the "Repository" (which it calls a Datastore), all you have to do is drag it there, or use the Upload button, which will open a dialog for you to go find the entity (folder/file). Contrast that with Oracle's idea, which REQUIRES that your file be on an FTP server that requires no password, or an HTTP server, and then has little or no error recovery when something goes wrong? How about the whole approach to networking, while we're here. How about Appliances? Even when you've completed the arduous task of getting a template into the Repository, you still have to clone that in order to create a virtual machine. You cannot use it directly, oh, no! With VMW Appliances, all you do is download them into the datastore, and press the Start button. Voila! Instant machine!

VMWare is not convoluted. They don't make you use every technological tool in the business just to get something done. (Consider templates again: You have to download them using a separate machine, and they are zip files. You use -not just any- Zip program to unzip them - it has to be a special version. Then you have to put the pieces together into a cohesive unit via cat... to build the file that you can then move to your web or ftp server and finally (hopefully) import into the Repository. Of course, once it's in the Repository, tar and uncompress are used to expand it out, but that's at least done for us. But never mind the space used by all of that.

You might want to stop here and be satisfied; the following was earned by the personal flavor of your post.

I have, sitting beside me now, an VMWare ESXi system built in a standard desktop case with standard internals (disk, network, 24G memory, ...). (ESXi, by the way, like Oracle VM, is free.) On that, I have a mail server (jeos), two Win7 systems (one, on an isolated network, I use solely for web browsing when I don't really trust the site), a Vista machine, an Ubuntu system (my personal primary machine), mythbuntu system, and a file server. I can plug any USB device into this system, and direct it to any of these virtual machines with two mouse clicks. The performance is amazingly fast. There are three separate and distinct networks - all designed and implemented by me, all working flawlessly. The mythbuntu system is connected (again by USB) to a Hauppauge HD PVR, and I use it for all my video recording. I built this all myself, starting with a motherboard, a power supply, and a case. It took me two days, including installing and configuring the whole shebang, and has been working flawlessly for these past many months. So maybe some of those cool things are not beyond my expertise after all.

I've been trying to get this Oracle "solution" going for over a month.

What's beyond my expertise, is discerning what's meant by documentation that is completely unclear at best, and ambiguous at worst. I always flail around with that kind of thing. I've got to hand it to them, the folks at Oracle are masters at the technique.
  • 7. Re: Oracle VM 3.1.1, Oracle VM Server, PeopleSoft Templates and networking
    971118 Newbie
    OK. Out of desire to resolve this, I have completely removed the 192.* network from this configuration, by disconnecting the eth0 networks, and changing the ifcfg-eth0 to ONBOOT=no (yes, I know either action should suffice).

So there is exactly one network involved now. (Greg King said that's OK, if scalability is not an issue, and if he said it, I believe it. I'll complicate it later, after I get simple working.) And one VMS is out of the configuration for now. So I have ora-vmm at 10.8.15.49 ora-vms1 at 10.8.15.47, and the fileserver at 10.8.15.50. ora-vms2 is at 10.8.15.48, but is down for now. The server pool address is set to 10.8.15.1. The network looks like this:

ID: 10.8.15.0
    Name: ps-net1
    Channels: all
    Servers: ora-vms1, ora-vms2
    Selected paths: ora-vms1 Port (2) (eth1), ora-vms2 Port (2) (eth1)
    VLAN Group: None
    VLAN Segment: None
    Configure IP Address: ora-vms1 Port (2) (eth1) Use DHCP 10.8.15.47 255.255.255.0 Bonding: N/A
    Configure IP Address: ora-vms2 Port (2) (eth1) Use DHCP 10.8.15.48 255.255.255.0 Bonding: N/A

------
    ifconfig from ora-vmm

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:29:38:92:7E
    inet addr:10.8.15.49 Bcast:10.8.15.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::20c:29ff:fe38:927e/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:3516 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:3186 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:1520847 (1.4 MiB) TX bytes:383384 (374.3 KiB)

eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:29:38:92:88
    inet addr:10.8.16.1 Bcast:10.8.16.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::20c:29ff:fe38:9288/64 Scope:Link
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:13 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:830 (830.0 b)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:136683 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:136683 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:30853824 (29.4 MiB) TX bytes:30853824 (29.4 MiB)

--------
    ifconfig from ora-vms1
    10.8.15.0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:29:D5:97:F1
    inet addr:10.8.15.47 Bcast:10.8.15.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    RX packets:21463 errors:0 dropped:1 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:23017 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    RX bytes:10033833 (9.5 MiB) TX bytes:12175262 (11.6 MiB)

10.8.15.0:0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:29:D5:97:F1
    inet addr:10.8.15.1 Bcast:10.8.15.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:29:D5:97:F1
    RX packets:47343 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:48885 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    RX bytes:23261224 (22.1 MiB) TX bytes:22212168 (21.1 MiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:5858 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:5858 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    RX bytes:2749072 (2.6 MiB) TX bytes:2749072 (2.6 MiB)

--------
    I don't understand why, but the VMM has placed this entry into each server's /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory:

ifcfg-10.8.15.0

Contents are:
    #This file was dynamically created by OVM manager. Please Do not edit
    DEVICE=10.8.15.0
    TYPE=Bridge
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    ONBOOT=yes
    DELAY=0

--------
    I am able to start the guest with no issue. It has been configured with IP address 10.8.15.101, netmask 255.255.255.0. Its gateway is 10.8.15.50, the same network configuration as all the other servers.

The important parts of ifconfig output from the guest (which I must manually type since Launch Console provides no copy/paste functionality) are:
    eth0 Ethernet, HW Addr: 00:21:f6:00:00:11
    inet addr: 10.8.15.101 Bcast: 10.8.15.255 Mask: 255.255.255.0
    inet6 ...
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST ...
    RX Packets: 11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX Packets: 101 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    RX bytes:620 (620.0 b) TX bytes:10592 (10.3 KiB)
    Interrupt:14

Ping to 10.8.15.47 (the server on which this guest is running) is successful
    All other ping attempts fail.

This is where I am, and why I'm confused. Can anyone help me understand why this guest can only talk to its "host?"

Thank you.
  • 8. Re: Oracle VM 3.1.1, Oracle VM Server, PeopleSoft Templates and networking
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE
    Dennis,

You are right, the template deployment claims a lot of space...
    Beside that, i may or may not help, but I set the Peoplesoft VM templates in Oracle VM without much issues, find out more :
    http://gasparotto.blogspot.nl/2012/09/psovm-fscm-91-feature-pack-2.html
    Let me know if more information is needed.

Nicolas.
  • 9. Re: Oracle VM 3.1.1, Oracle VM Server, PeopleSoft Templates and networking
    user12273962 Pro
    Don't just disable eth0. Reinstall your VM and assign the 10.8 network IP to the default "bond". OR, change the IP on the bond. If you had any of the documentation.... you would know Oracle VM uses a single member bond for the default connection.
  • 10. Re: Oracle VM 3.1.1, Oracle VM Server, PeopleSoft Templates and networking
    971118 Newbie
    "If you had any of the documentation.... you would know Oracle VM uses a single member bond for the default connection"

1) Where can I get this documentation, then? It is not mentioned (that I have found) in the Getting Started guide, is not mentioned (that I have found) in the Installing and Upgrading guide, is not mentioned in the README for the template packs.

What documentation should I be reading, if not those?

2) Are you suggesting that I tear down this whole thing, rebuild the network, reimport the templates, copy them to VM and then hope that magically somewhere in the mix, this will be solved?

Oh, and by the way: I did scrap everything and start over once before. I had to also wipe out and re-export the NFS filesystem on the file server. And who knows what other now-forgotten difficulties that imposed!

I'm sorry if I find that suggestion incredulous. (I do, by the way.) Even if it's true that the network definition is fundamentally flawed, that is A LOT to ask, to solve something that's probably a few characters in a configuration file, don't you think?

Edited by: Dennis Lovelady on Nov 9, 2012 5:03 AM - Added the second point
  • 11. Re: Oracle VM 3.1.1, Oracle VM Server, PeopleSoft Templates and networking
    971118 Newbie
    Thanks for your reply, Nicolas.

It is encouraging to see actual screen prints from a working configuration. I shall mush on.
  • 12. Re: Oracle VM 3.1.1, Oracle VM Server, PeopleSoft Templates and networking
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE
    Dennis Lovelady wrote:
    Thanks for your reply, Nicolas.

It is encouraging to see actual screen prints from a working configuration. I shall mush on.
    Note that I'm using Oracle VM Server 2.2... within the PSOVM and basics config, everything works like a charm. I think it's mentioned in the readme that the template are build for 2.2, even though importing them in 3.x should work. I did not tested it though.

Nicolas.
  • 13. Re: Oracle VM 3.1.1, Oracle VM Server, PeopleSoft Templates and networking
    user12273962 Pro
    Dennis Lovelady wrote:
    How is VMWare easier? Let me count the ways. :) How about the fact that if you want something in the "Repository" (which it calls a Datastore), all you have to do is drag it there, or use the Upload button, which will open a dialog for you to go find the entity (folder/file). Contrast that with Oracle's idea, which REQUIRES that your file be on an FTP server that requires no password, or an HTTP server, and then has little or no error recovery when something goes wrong? How about the whole approach to networking, while we're here. How about Appliances? Even when you've completed the arduous task of getting a template into the Repository, you still have to clone that in order to create a virtual machine. You cannot use it directly, oh, no! With VMW Appliances, all you do is download them into the datastore, and press the Start button. Voila! Instant machine!
    I miss your point....

The interface is different but I wouldn't say better. I do think the Oracle VMM should allow you to do mass changes. This is the only thing I don't like about it. Once you get use to it. Its not that different at all. Yes. it takes some time to learn.... Then again. Everything does. I've been working with Oracle products for over 15 years. Documentation is not their strength. Heck, I had to combine 5 different working sets of documents to understand some of their products before. Oracle VM is not one of them. Once you learn it. Its not that difficult.

The idea behind cloning... is the fact you have a source that hasn't been touched. You don't have to "upload" the source every time you want create a VM guest from template. Get it?

VMWare is not convoluted. They don't make you use every technological tool in the business just to get something done. (Consider templates again: You have to download them using a separate machine, and they are zip files. You use -not just any- Zip program to unzip them - it has to be a special version. Then you have to put the pieces together into a cohesive unit via cat... to build the file that you can then move to your web or ftp server and finally (hopefully) import into the Repository. Of course, once it's in the Repository, tar and uncompress are used to expand it out, but that's at least done for us. But never mind the space used by all of that.

Upload. Clone. Delete source. You may not like it... but it does make sense. If you don't want it. Delete it. If you want to create multiple copies. Clone it.

Another problem you have is ORACLE IS THE ONLY ONE PROVIDING "APPLIANCES" SUCH YOU'RE USING. VMWare doesn't. If it did. You wouldn't even be trying Oracle VM. Whether you realize this or not... templates such as Peoplesoft and Oracle EBS are very complex. VERY COMPLEX. They are HUGE because they provide "HUGE FEATURES".

The templates are broken out and have to be "cated" together because they are SO LARGE. Can you imagine providing one HUGE PIECE of the puzzle. Surely you can understand this. By contrast a simple Oracle Linux template is less than 1 GB. Not bad Oracle. Thanks.

*(ESXi, by the way, like Oracle VM, is free.)*

Support isn't.... and to license the product.... you'll going to pay ALOT MORE. Oracle has even made updates to the 3.1.1 available on their pubic YUM server. Can you get this with VMWare? That's what I thought.

ESX isn't free. You take your ESXi. I'll take Oracle VM anyday.

I've been trying to get this Oracle "solution" going for over a month.

Took me about a week to begin to really understand it. Not too bad I'd say. I had a VM up and running the first couple days. Oracle VM isn't really made for a small footprint. Again. Use Virtualbox if you need this. Have you ever tried virtualbox? Works great. Its free too. Just like ESXi. In fact. I'd take virtualbox over ESXi. Sorry. No peoplesoft template.

I'm through. I'll get off my "soapbox". Try it. Throw it away if you like... but I know why you are using it. You don't want to go through a complete Peoplesoft install. I don't blame you....if you've been at this a month and still don't have it down... you might could have had a peoplesoft environment already setup..... ;)

Then again. Maybe not.

Edited by: user12273962 on Nov 9, 2012 5:11 AM
  • 14. Re: Oracle VM 3.1.1, Oracle VM Server, PeopleSoft Templates and networking
    user12273962 Pro
    That's because they are BIG. BIG files.. A lot of space. Funny how that works.

How BIG is your non Oracle VM Peoplesoft deployment? Imagine "wrapping" all of it up into a "template".... I think you get the point.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points