This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 7:49 AM by jiri.machotka RSS

Adding WorkFlow to Spaces Pages

TimothyC Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Has anyone added workflows/Approval to WebCenter Spaces Page content, I am not talking about the WebCenter Content workflow/approvals but adding a workflow/approval to a page that has had text image or link changes.

We are looking to do in WebCenter Spaces the same functionality that 10G Portal middleware has. In 10g Portal we can set an approval process for any changes that occur on a page. We are being told the only way to do this in Spaces is to import a HTML page from WebCenter Content but doing this we will lose all the functionality of editing that Spaces provides. Additionally our users that update pages are not HTML programmer and need a wysiwyg interface.

I am really shocked that ORACLE would remove this functionality from a new product, but has anyone set up a workflow/approval for WebCenter space page changes? Or is the functionality there, but I talking to the wrong people.
  • 1. Re: Adding WorkFlow to Spaces Pages
    jiri.machotka Guru
    I am really shocked that ORACLE would remove this functionality from a new product, but has anyone set up a workflow/approval for WebCenter space page changes? Or is the functionality there, but I talking to the wrong people.
    This is not as removed as not yet implemented. Note that with WebCenter Portal you may have three possible places where you update a page:
    - in JDeveloper
    - in the Administration section
    - in runtime using the Composer

Probably only the last way would be a subject to approvals. Note that WebCenter Portal supports two concepts: personalization (changes just for myself) and customization - read this article for more details http://andrejusb.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/applying-personalization-and.html , so again, only customization would make sense to be approved. Finally, note that technically it's not an easy task - all users should see the page as if no change took place until approved (by the necessary number of approvers), whilst approvers should see the page with changes; possibly also with highlighted changes. You'd need versioning, and it seems that file-based MDS does not support that yet - see http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17904_01/core.1111/e10105/repos.htm

Besides, there is a chance to work around it by WebCenter Content - which also has a WYSIWYG interface for editing html docs (so-called Data Contribution Files). Maybe not that nice as using the Composer, but still no html programming.
  • 2. Re: Adding WorkFlow to Spaces Pages
    TimothyC Newbie
    Thanks We did find a work around using WebCenter Content (WCC) but w are still looking into it.
    If you edit a page in spaces and create a shell HTML Document in a WebCenter Content Folder, you can add it to the page by selecting: "Add Content" then open "Content Management", then "All Content", the "MGCRC_Connection" then navigate to the HTML Document and select "Add" then "Content Presenter" from the dropdown.

This will add it to the page, we our user go to the page and use hot keys Ctrl-shift-C it give them a edit mode, then the user can select the edit button to edit the page. This give then, image tools, links tools, Commnets, Tags, Info and also allow them to view past changes and submit it to an approval/workflow.

This will allow us to use the workflow from the WCC and the user will not have to go to the WCC to edit the page or know any HTML to modify a page. (We Like this.)

This looks like it will work for our Business needs but there are something we want to look into.
    1) The pop editor window is very small, you can resize it but we want to be able to set the with of the popup when it opens, so it dispaly the edit to the same width as the page they are editing.
    2) We want to create a button or link for a user to click to get into the contributor mode instead of using the hot keys, Ctrl-Shift-C
    3) We want to modify the style for the editor to match the style for the page, so the uses see exactly what the page will look like as the edit in the editor.
    4) We are till looking into the Workflow and the Notification on approvals and how it will work but we are having problems with the email notifications and seeing if the notification can show up in the activity/notifications in Spaces.
  • 3. Re: Adding WorkFlow to Spaces Pages
    jiri.machotka Guru
    I'm glad you could buy the WCC story. To your questions:
    1) The pop editor window is very small, you can resize it but we want to be able to set the with of the popup when it opens, so it dispaly the edit to the same width as the page they are editing.
    That's an interesting question. Out of my head I'm not aware if there is a parameter to set it up. It might be worth asking in the WCC forum as a separate question (not sure how many people from there monitor also this forum).
    2) We want to create a button or link for a user to click to get into the contributor mode instead of using the hot keys, Ctrl-Shift-C
    This is definitely possible. Ctrl-Shift-C calls (via a javascript) a service which changes the page's mode to Contribution mode. Note that there is also the third mode - Designer's. I'd suggest to get a tutorial for Site Studio (not Site Studio for External Apps) as it will certainly demonstrate how this can be achieved.
    3) We want to modify the style for the editor to match the style for the page, so the uses see exactly what the page will look like as the edit in the editor.
    Similar to #1 - maybe a separate question would be worth in WCC.
    4) We are till looking into the Workflow and the Notification on approvals and how it will work but we are having problems with the email notifications and seeing if the notification can show up in the activity/notifications in Spaces.
    If I got the point you'd like to see email notifications in what? (Lists? Activities?) in Spaces. I'm afraid OOTB WCC native workflows create just an email, and you'd need to customize your system so that the email is transferred to, for instance, a list item. Alternatively, you could use BPEL rather than WCC native workflows (WCC can hand over workflows like that). BPEL could be, then, integrated with WebCenter Portal. But, yes, it looks complicated.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points