I'm using SQL Developer since a couple of month now and I feel I must share some comments on dialog, package management, subversion feature and general UI.
My daily usage is :
- PLSQL dev
- Multiple schema and connection opened at the same time
- Schema with a lot of packages, functions, and tables
The first issue I have is the open and save dialog.
I don't really know why but I'm unable to manage the quick access at the left side of the opening dialog. We should be able to add/delete bookmarks there to quickly access our workling folder.
The Open file does not seem to remember my last folder if I change worksheet...
The save dialog is also getting in my way:
- The dialog did not remember my last folder
- Saving a package as .pkb / .pks like Toad open a new window instead of keeping the one I working with.
We are saving our package in a subversion repository. I was happy to discover subversion support was build in in SQL Dev.
I may be wrong but I don't understand how we should work (let's call it workflow) with the versioning navigator.
- Object are opened as read only
- I must open them like any other file to edit or compile a package
- I don't see how I should add new file to repository after saving them (menu are grey)
What I expect is :
1- Checkout repository
2- Click on a file (or getting the "database version" if someone forgot to commit it in svn)
3- edit it and compile
4- save and commit
The SQL dev UI is fine but I find it difficult to work with as soon as I have a couple of connections, packages and worksheets.
- If I have more than one schema browser, I must enlarge my left panel to be able to select some of them.
- If I'm minimizing the schema browser in the left bar, I'm losing the connection name making it difficult to select the right one.
- If I click on a package, only the spec is opened. I should be able to open the spec and the body in a single click.
- The quick outline is not updating when I add a new function or procedure in a package.
- When I'm opening a remote table with a lot of columns, I'm always getting Connection is currently busy+ without any reasons (the table is just taking some time to load)
- Canceling a query can be "rock 'n roll". I'm getting broken pipe+ error most of the time.
Thanks for reading :)