This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 12:35 PM by 935199 RSS

Actions after synchronized block happens-after?

935199 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I'd like to verify that my intuitive understanding of synchronization is correct here. I've read the Java language specification but I couldn't find anything in my example. This relates very loosely to the double-checking (anti)pattern.

My question is specifically: Say I have the code:
public void method() {
    synchronized(anyObject) {
        actionA();
    }
    actionB();
}
Does actionA() then have a happens-before relationship with actionB()?

Thanks a lot!
  • 1. Re: Actions after synchronized block happens-after?
    jtahlborn Expert
    you have the "happens-before" relationship reversed. generally, a synchronizing action establishes that all other preceding actions "happened-before" it. so, the synchronized block establishes a "happens-before" relationship with everything preceding actionA(). it says nothing about actionB().
  • 2. Re: Actions after synchronized block happens-after?
    935199 Newbie
    Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand.

In my intuition, if a thread enters method(), it must wait (possibly no time at all) to acquire the anyObject lock before it can execute actionB() from a program perspective.

What I read in the Java Specs was "If x and y are actions of the same thread and x comes before y in program order, then hb(x, y)." I wasn't sure if a synchronized block counts as an "action" in this case.

Let me rephrase my question to be more specific. For any given thread that enters method(), can I be sure that actionA() on that thread will execute before actionB() on the same thread?

Thanks!

Edited by: bombax on Nov 8, 2012 10:11 AM
  • 3. Re: Actions after synchronized block happens-after?
    jtahlborn Expert
    bombax wrote:
    Let me rephrase my question to be more specific. For any given thread that enters method(), can I be sure that actionA() on that thread will execute before actionB() on the same thread?
    "happens-before" isn't so interesting in the context of a single thread. yes, for a single thread, all actions will appear to happen in the "program order", synchronized block or no.
  • 4. Re: Actions after synchronized block happens-after?
    935199 Newbie
    Thanks! I know the question might have seemed obvious but your answer definitely helped.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points