This content has been marked as final. Show 6 replies
We don't really have a formal comparison but we do have experience using RODBC in the context of RODM package. Writes were certainly much much slower. I don't really have RODBC installed on my system now, but here are some numbers on my system using ROracle on a 220K data set. Nothing spectacular about the hardware. It's a VM.
Based on this numbers I do recommend that you give ROracle a try (even though the numbers came from different machines). If you have trouble installing it post a question here. We'll be more than happy to help. Take a look at the INSTALL file. This should get you started. One thing that is not mentioned there yet is a problem setting up Instant Client SDK from a .zip file. Once unzipped it will not have libclntsh.so symbolic link. You will have to create it manually.
R> con<-dbConnect(Oracle(), "rquser", "rquser") R> system.time(dat<-dbGetQuery(con, "select * from ontime_s")) user system elapsed 5.740 0.144 7.501 R> dim(dat)  219932 26
Hope this helps,
Thanks for your fast reponse and sharing your experience. I give it shot.
I finally got the time to try ROracle. However, I ran into the following problem.
I did the following steps:
1) Open R and install R package "DBI" (i.e. "install.packages("DBI")")
2) Set up directory "C:\instantclient\x64", i.e. unzip "Instant Client 11.2 Basic" and "Instant Client 11.2 SDK" packages to this folder
3) Go to folder "cd C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.1\bin"
4) Download "ROracle_1.1-7.tar.gz" from CRAN and copy it to folder "C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.1\bin"
5) Run "R CMD INSTALL --build ROracle_1.1-7.tar.gz" from folder "C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.1\bin"
Unfortunately, I get the following error:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\>cd C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.1\bin
C:\Program Files\R\R-2.15.1\bin>R CMD INSTALL --build ROracle_1.1-7.tar.gz
* installing to library 'C:/Program Files/R/R-2.15.1/library'
* installing source package 'ROracle' ...
** Paket 'ROracle' erfolgreich entpackt und MD5 Summen überprüft
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'ROracle'
* removing 'C:/Program Files/R/R-2.15.1/library/ROracle'
I have not yet created the libclntsh.so symbolic link as there is no description in the INSTALL text file how to do that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Try setting <tt>OCI_LIB64</tt> before running <tt>R CMD INSTALL</tt>
Thanks for your quick reply.
However, it still does not work. Can I check somehow if your command actually worked?
Actually there is no folder "instantclient_11_2" in the folder "x64" only "sdk", "vc8" and "vc9" (I unzip in x64 the above mentioned ZIP files, which are listed in the INSTALL file.).
Can you think of anything else? Thanks.
Edited by: MMzh on 08.02.2013 06:23
Do you have Rtools installed on your system?