This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 4:16 PM by Alex_Keh - Oracle_Product_Manager RSS

Managed ODP.Net

932936 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I read here (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CEAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oracle.com%2Ftechnetwork%2Ftopics%2Fdotnet%2Fow2011-fully-managed-odp-518049.pdf&ei=CNGaUOCXNImY0QGms4H4Dg&usg=AFQjCNEJA_ztVgWmCq8rvfitBe3hJCMV-Q) about Managed ODP.Net, and I've got to say this looks pretty sweet.

So, I was wondering if one of you kind Oracle people know when this is going to be released (or has it already, as google didn't show anything that has been released to general public already). While I enjoy participating in Beta, the nature of my current projects wouldn't allow me to participate in this one. However, I am interested in hearing more about Managed ODP.Net, when it will be available, what it's dependencies are (if any), steps for migrating away from traditional ODP.Net, and when Oracle Developer Tools will be supported through Managed ODP.Net (including Database-First Entity Framework).
  • 1. Re: Managed ODP.Net
    Alex_Keh - Oracle_Product_Manager Expert
    This ten minute YouTube video will provide some more background on the managed provider.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I1q50HnUh_w

We're expecting the production release to be in the first half of 2013.
  • 2. Re: Managed ODP.Net
    932936 Newbie
    Sweet. Will this also support EF and VS development tools once it's released?

Are there any plans to fix some of the shortcommings that the existing unmanaged ODP.Net has with EF eager loading (i.e. use of dbSet<T>().include("entity1").include("entity2") currently causes some kind of error relating to "apply"), or will the release mainly be what we have now, just a lot easier to deploy?

Thanks.
  • 3. Re: Managed ODP.Net
    Alex_Keh - Oracle_Product_Manager Expert
    Will this also support EF and VS development tools once it's released?

Yes. It actually supports EF now. VS should be supported in the next beta.

Are there any plans to fix some of the shortcommings that the existing unmanaged ODP.Net has with EF eager loading (i.e. use of dbSet<T>().include("entity1").include("entity2") currently causes some kind of error relating to "apply"), or will the release mainly be what we have now, just a lot easier to deploy?

That's a question for Microsoft. APPLY is a SQL keyword LINQ generates. Oracle cannot force LINQ to generate alternative SQL syntax to APPLY. Thus, there is nothing ODP.NET itself can do to workaround the problem. Oracle has asked MS how a provider writer can solve this problem. They say it can't be done by the provider itself. This thread provides a much more in-depth discussion if you're interested:

Re: Entity Framework generates invalid oracle sql.

That's not to say a solution is not forthcoming for those hitting the APPLY problem. There is another way to solve this problem seamlessly for EF developers. Unfortunately, I can't talk about this particular piece of functionality publicly right now because it has not yet been released. I can elaborate more come January.

Edited by: Alex Keh - Oracle Product Manager on Nov 8, 2012 4:16 PM