This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 9, 2012 4:32 PM by Gary Graham RSS

Little bug: import connections vs connection naming

973469 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
When importing connections, the connections names are taken as-is, even when they violate the (new?) naming rule for connections.

Before moving to a new PC, I had exported my connections. I had adapted a a naming scheme where I used a '|' (pipe) between a database identifier and the username stored in the connections.

When I try to create a new connection with a pipe in the name this is not allowed. OK.
But when I import my connections, the pipe remains and it even works. On the other hand there are errors reported:

SEVERE     4365     2753      oracle.dbtools.raptor.navigator.net.project.TransientURLFileSystemHelper     C:\Users\jochv\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system3.2.10.09.57\o.ide.11.1.1.4.37.59.48\projects\IdeConnections#elio_qa|elio_qafa0f78d0.jpr (The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)
SEVERE     4364     17238      oracle.dbtools.raptor.standalone.RaptorContextSupport      C:\Users\jochv\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system3.2.10.09.57\o.ide.11.1.1.4.37.59.48\projects\IdeConnections#elio_qa|elio_qafa0f78d0.jpr (The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)
SEVERE     4363     63      oracle.dbtools.raptor.navigator.net.project.TransientURLFileSystemHelper     C:\Users\jochv\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system3.2.10.09.57\o.ide.11.1.1.4.37.59.48\projects\IdeConnections#elio_prod|elio_prod5b80ef2a.jpr (The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)
SEVERE     4362     14946      oracle.dbtools.raptor.standalone.RaptorContextSupport      C:\Users\jochv\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system3.2.10.09.57\o.ide.11.1.1.4.37.59.48\projects\IdeConnections#elio_prod|elio_prod5b80ef2a.jpr (The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)

"elio_qa|elio" and "elio_prod|elio" are the imported connection names.

Obviously, renaming the connections works around the problem.

Making the importer check the names (and suggest corrections) is the solution.
  • 1. Re: Little bug: import connections vs connection naming
    Gary Graham Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hi JVdB,

That is an omission of which we are well-aware. There is no plan to treat it as an error or to fix it. The decision comes down to this question:
    Would most users really prefer a fully or partially failed Connections import if existing connection names violate the new naming rules?
    In this case, the cure is worse than the disease. Most users are happy to ignore Logging pane messages if everything else seems to work. Over the course of the next couple of releases, this issue should be mostly self-correcting as user conform to the new rules and rename connections.

Regards,
    Gary
    SQL Developer Team