This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2012 9:29 AM by Levi-Pereira RSS

How to find File present on ASM Disk

Manikya Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,
How can I find which dbf files are stored on a specific DISK of a DISKGROUP in an ASM instance?
E.g Diskgroup -> group 1 -> +DATA
Disks in group 1: DATA_001 , DATA_002 , DATA_003

I want to know what all is stored on DATA_002 ?
Can we get this info ?

-Regards,
Mani
  • 1. Re: How to find File present on ASM Disk
    LaserSoft Journeyer
    Hi,

This will list the databases which reside in that particular disk group

you can do cd to that disk group and say ls again. It will show the databases.

If you further do cd to the database, it will show the database files like control file, logfile, datafile, tempfile, parameter file, etc.

Thanks
    Lasersoft
  • 2. Re: How to find File present on ASM Disk
    rcc50886 Journeyer
    ASMCMD is the commandline interface for the ASM.

set your environments(ORACLE_HOME=<GI_home>, PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH) to reflect ASM instance and then login to ASMCMD commandline interface by simply typing ASMCMD
    asmcmd

ASMCMD> lsdg                   --->list diskgroups (lsdg)
    DATA
    FRA
    CRS

ASMCD> cd DATA   --- just like unix, you can move around diskgroup directories

ASMCD> ls   ---> it will list all files in that directory
    -thanks
  • 3. Re: How to find File present on ASM Disk
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    user634358 wrote:
    Hi All,
    How can I find which dbf files are stored on a specific DISK of a DISKGROUP in an ASM instance?
    E.g Diskgroup -> group 1 -> +DATA
    Disks in group 1: DATA_001 , DATA_002 , DATA_003

I want to know what all is stored on DATA_002 ?
    Can we get this info ?
    You cannot see files at ASMDISK level, this info is available only at DISKGROUP level.

Oracle ASM spreads data evenly across all disks in a disk group to optimize performance and utilization. So, the ASMDISK DATA_002 has a piece (extents) of all files that is stored on that DISKGROUP.

For example, if there are six disks in a disk group, then pieces of each Oracle ASM file are written to all six disks. These pieces are known as extents. In this scenario, these pieces come in 1 MB chunks. When a database file is created, it is striped (divided into extents and distributed) across the six disks, and allocated disk space on all six disks increases evenly.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points