This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2012 8:27 AM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

11i to R12 upgrade Doubts

860213 Pro
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I am currently analyzing 11i(11.5.10.2) to R12(12.1.3) upgrade and need your expert adivce/suggestion on some of the doubts.

Current EBS architecture:
2 Node split architecture.
Node1:- Web Tier
Node2:- CP, Admin and Database Tier.
DB:- 10.2.0.3
Although we are running only web tier on node 1 but complet application is installed and to maintain consitency we apply patches on both nodes. We want to keep same architecture going forward also.

My doubts:-

1) As per upgrade document we have to run ad preperation script after applying patch 7197849 and by default extent size is 128k(for db size upto 100Gb), as we are having db size of 360 GB ..how should we decide on correct extent size? Please pass metalink note id's if you are aware of.

2)How much space is required for laying down R12 filesystem? I believe it should be same as for new installation. Also what will happen to 11i filesystems after upgrade i.e. ias and 8.0.6 oracle home?

3)After upgrade will my user be able to check log and out of requests that ran on 11i prior to upgrade?

4) Any idea on increase in demand CPU/memory/swap demand after moving to R12? we are upgrading like to like i.e. not adding any new functionality.

5)How much space should be preallocated to various tablespaces prior to running upgrade, we are not having OATM and decided to move on to it after upgrade. If my database is of 350 GB then how much space should be allocated to filesystem prior to growth?

6) We are having 11i split architecture where Node 1 is having Web tier and node 2 is having CP,admin and db tier. logically we should run rapid install steps along with all the patching on both nodes. Please correct me if i am wrong?

7) At what point of time do i need to run patches in preinstall mode i.e before applying 7461070 or after it, i believe before. Also is MOS 1448102.1 correct note for deciding on patches to be run in preinstall mode? I believe these patches are not mandatory but recommendation from oracle to pre-captulate.

8) After applying main upgrade driver patch i.e. 7461070 upgrade document says to 'Apply latest product patches', where can i get idea on patches to applied?

Thanks,
JD
  • 1. Re: 11i to R12 upgrade Doubts
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    1) As per upgrade document we have to run ad preperation script after applying patch 7197849 and by default extent size is 128k(for db size upto 100Gb), as we are having db size of 360 GB ..how should we decide on correct extent size? Please pass metalink note id's if you are aware of.
    Use the default extent size.
    2)How much space is required for laying down R12 filesystem? I believe it should be same as for new installation. Also what will happen to 11i filesystems after upgrade i.e. ias and 8.0.6 oracle home?
    Disk Space Requirements
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18727_01/doc.121/e12842/T422699i4773.htm#3708205
    8.0.6 and iAS ORACLE_HOMEs will be no longer used.
    3)After upgrade will my user be able to check log and out of requests that ran on 11i prior to upgrade?
    Yes.
    4) Any idea on increase in demand CPU/memory/swap demand after moving to R12? we are upgrading like to like i.e. not adding any new functionality.
    https://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=Hardware+AND+Requirements+AND+R12&objID=c3&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=15&rankBy=10001
    5)How much space should be preallocated to various tablespaces prior to running upgrade, we are not having OATM and decided to move on to it after upgrade. If my database is of 350 GB then how much space should be allocated to filesystem prior to growth?
    You need to migrate to OATM before R12 upgrade.

FAQ - OATM - Oracle Applications Tablespace Migration [ID 418225.1] -- 5) Is OATM Mandatory for R12?
    6) We are having 11i split architecture where Node 1 is having Web tier and node 2 is having CP,admin and db tier. logically we should run rapid install steps along with all the patching on both nodes. Please correct me if i am wrong?
    Correct if you do not have shared application file syste,
    7) At what point of time do i need to run patches in preinstall mode i.e before applying 7461070 or after it, i believe before. Also is MOS 1448102.1 correct note for deciding on patches to be run in preinstall mode? I believe these patches are not mandatory but recommendation from oracle to pre-captulate.
    Yes. Please also see (R12.1: Oracle Financials Pre-Upgrade Patch - Supplemental List for EBS CUP [ID 1127593.1]).
    8) After applying main upgrade driver patch i.e. 7461070 upgrade document says to 'Apply latest product patches', where can i get idea on patches to applied?
    MOS > Patches & Updates > Latest R12 Pack & Recommended R12 Patches

Identifying the Latest Family Packs for Oracle E-Business Suite
    https://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/entry/latest_available_packs_for_oracle

Identifying Recommended Patches for E-Business Suite Environments
    https://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/entry/recommended_patches_for_oracle_e

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 2. Re: 11i to R12 upgrade Doubts
    860213 Pro
    Thanks for your reply Hussein,
    https://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=Hardware+AND+Requirements+AND+R12&objID=c3&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=15&rankBy=10001
    Hussein i am looking for suggestion from real world, lets say i am quite satisified with current performance of my application server(11i) i.e. CPU/memory/swap are all fine...do i require extra memory after R12 upgrade...or will my current servers be fine?..Is R12 using more memory then 11i.

I dont think it is mandatory while upgrading, it can be done after upgrade(although before upgrading would be step forward):- http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B40089_08/current/acrobat/r12upg11i.pdf (page 1-8)
    "We strongly recommend that you migrate the existing objects after the upgrade is complete."

Thanks,
    JD
  • 3. Re: 11i to R12 upgrade Doubts
    Hussein i am looking for suggestion from real world, lets say i am quite satisified with current performance of my application server(11i) i.e. CPU/memory/swap are all fine...do i require extra memory after R12 upgrade...or will my current servers be fine?..Is R12 using more memory then 11i.
    You would need more memory in R12. How much memory do you have on each server?
    I dont think it is mandatory while upgrading, it can be done after upgrade(although before upgrading would be step forward):- http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B40089_08/current/acrobat/r12upg11i.pdf (page 1-8)
    "We strongly recommend that you migrate the existing objects after the upgrade is complete."
    It is mandatory -- Please log a SR to confirm this with Oracle support.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 4. Re: 11i to R12 upgrade Doubts
    860213 Pro
    16G on each Server.

thanks,
    JD
  • 5. Re: 11i to R12 upgrade Doubts
    JD wrote:
    16G on each Server.
    Not sure how many concurrent users you have or how big your SGA is but 16 GB should be enough for low-medium company size.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 6. Re: 11i to R12 upgrade Doubts
    user11991972 Newbie
    Hi Hussein,
    I have been reading your replies/blogs on OTN and they are really good.
    We have a very tragic situation here. We are in the process of upgrading from 11i to 12i. We have loads of custom procedures which we are on the custom top and are copied successfully to the 12i server. We have a procedure which is for the invoice interface process. This procedure would validate the data, load it into the AP interface tables and then would call the seeded Payables Import process to import the invoices into AP. The seeded procedure is being called from the custom package body only and it is working fine in 11i.
    But when we tested in 12i the procedure runs upto loading the data into the interface table an then it fails as soon as it reaches the procedure to import the invoices. I copied the same procedure and created it under APPS schema and it runs fine. I gave the grants to the FND_REQUEST.SUBMIT REQUEST package to my custom schema, but still no luck.
    Can you please guide if we are missing some grants or some setup somehwere. We have around 50-60 interfaces which are calling this procedure to load and import the legacy invoices into AP.
    Please please help me on this.
    Thanks.
  • 7. Re: 11i to R12 upgrade Doubts
    But when we tested in 12i the procedure runs upto loading the data into the interface table an then it fails as soon as it reaches the procedure to import the invoices. I copied the same procedure and created it under APPS schema and it runs fine. I gave the grants to the FND_REQUEST.SUBMIT REQUEST package to my custom schema, but still no luck.
    What is the error you get?
    Can you please guide if we are missing some grants or some setup somehwere. We have around 50-60 interfaces which are calling this procedure to load and import the legacy invoices into AP.
    You need to visit all the objects and make sure your custom schema user has permission to read from those objects.

Also, please enable trace/debug to capture more details about the error.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 8. Re: 11i to R12 upgrade Doubts
    What is the error you get?
    You need to visit all the objects and make sure your custom schema user has permission to read from those objects.

Also, please enable trace/debug to capture more details about the error.

Thanks,
    Hussein

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points