This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2012 8:17 AM by user463145 RSS

Netbeans+Javafx+JBoss-7 : Any netbeans plugin for JBoss-7 support?

user463145 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello world,

I am trying to switch from eclipse to netbeans for my current javaee+javafx project, but netbeans doesn't currently support JBoss-7. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

BTW The decision to exclude JBoss-7 from netbeans -- perhaps hoping that developers would rush to adopt glassfish-- is a silly one. And yet, Oracle JDeveloper seems to works well with JBoss-7.

No serious development department in any organization that is already tied to a AS (say) JBoss is going to suddenly change it to glassfish just to be able to use netbeans. This decision will only backfire on Oracle, as its effect would be to stop developers already using JBoss from trying or even adopting netbeans.
  • 1. Re: Netbeans+Javafx+JBoss-7 : Any netbeans plugin for JBoss-7 support?
    jsmith Guru
    You are better off posting this to a NetBeans forum or the relevant NetBeans feature request:
    http://netbeans.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=200132 "Add support for JBoss AS 7"
  • 2. Re: Netbeans+Javafx+JBoss-7 : Any netbeans plugin for JBoss-7 support?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Eclipse + the JBoss Tools plugin works flawlessly.

Don't blame the Netbeans devs, Red Hat/JBoss basically ignores its existence and bases their entire tool line on Eclipse. Thus if you want to use JBoss, I can highly suggest you make the switch. Of course then you have to deal with a lack of proper JavaFX 2 plugin, but nobody said programming was easy.
  • 3. Re: Netbeans+Javafx+JBoss-7 : Any netbeans plugin for JBoss-7 support?
    jsmith Guru
    then you have to deal with a lack of proper JavaFX 2 plugin
    I haven't used it, but I'm sure e(fx)clipse is a capable JavaFX 2 plugin:
    http://efxclipse.org/

SceneBuilder integrates (somewhat) into eclipse as well:
    https://blogs.oracle.com/jeromec/entry/integrating_javafx_scene_builder_in

Note that a dedicated plugin isn't strictly necessary for JavaFX development.

The current main benefits of the NetBeans JavaFX integration (in my opinion) are:
    1. The ability to easily import and run all of the Oracle JavaFX examples.
    2. A GUI for setting up packaging configurations for jnlp based deployments.
    (e(fx)clipse also provides a, somewhat limited, GUI for this).
    3. JavaFX css attribute and fxml code completion and syntax highlighting.
    (e(fx)clipse also provides support for this feature).

If first class support for JBoss integration is vitally important to you, then you may be better off sticking to eclipse.
  • 4. Re: Netbeans+Javafx+JBoss-7 : Any netbeans plugin for JBoss-7 support?
    user463145 Newbie
    I am already using JBoss and eclipse. I was only trying netbeans to use the javafx facilities, but the JBoss version provided in the project creation task does not include JBoss-7. Beside, if you work for an organisation, you don't have the flexibility to change tools --The decision is not entirely yours.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points