This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2012 12:09 AM by Philip Stoyanov RSS

Can I turn off Autofit for tables in Query Builder?

User458977 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Using SQL Developer 3.2.20 and tabbing between the Query Builder and Worksheet always Autofits the height of the tables. Since the tables I'm using are in Enterprise Business Suite they have hundreds of rows making the graphical reprentation almost useless without resizing the table objects.

Is there any way to turn off this "feature"?

I am a new user of Query Developer and am using version 3.2.20.09.
I copied in a sql statement, clicked the query builder tab, visualized my sql statements and resized all the objects so they were viewable. Then when I click on the Worksheet tab and then click on the Query builder tab again all my objects are autofit to the height of the table and it takes about 15 minutes to size them again so I can see all the joins in the gui display - which is the point of the graphical interface.

Edited by: 969018 on Nov 1, 2012 2:13 PM
  • 1. Re: Can I turn off Autofit for tables in Query Builder?
    Jeff Smith SQLDev PM ACE Moderator
    You're doing more than just clicking in the worksheet, yes? Perhaps you made a change to the query?

I can click/switch from worksheet to query builder and back w/o the objects being re-sized. But if I make a change to the query, then I see the 'auto fit' happen.

Either way I can see that being not friendly after you did all the resizing.

Just to confirm, you're not wishing to build a diagram for reporting, correct? You're using the Query Builder to help you manage your actual queries? Just asking as we have a much more powerful interface for that, and it indeed maintains the object sizes.
  • 2. Re: Can I turn off Autofit for tables in Query Builder?
    User458977 Newbie
    Yes, I'm making changes on both the query builder side and the query side.

I am looking at inherited queries and trying to clean them up (all natural joins).

I first load the sql query in worksheet, tab over to query builder - resize all the tables so I can view them. When I want to make a change to the query I sometimes have to go back to worksheet and then it autofits when I come back. Very annoying since it takes about 10-15minutes to resize all of my objects. If this was a three table query I wouldn't need to view it graphically.

So, any way to turn off this autosize behavior?
  • 3. Re: Can I turn off Autofit for tables in Query Builder?
    User458977 Newbie
    So does anyone know a way to control the size of the objects in the Query Builder pane (except for resizing them over and over every time I make a change to the sql in the worksheet)?
  • 4. Re: Can I turn off Autofit for tables in Query Builder?
    There's currently no way to do this, and it's not an easy fix/enhancement to implement.

I would currently recommend you use the Query Builder to get your base query started, and then move on to the worksheet to 'finish it off.' Going from query builder to worksheet to query builder to worksheet isn't going to yield optimal results.
  • 5. Re: Can I turn off Autofit for tables in Query Builder?
    User458977 Newbie
    Thank you for confirming what I suspected.

If there was a workaround that allowed under the View menu to resize all objects to fit the current window, that would be an acceptable choice. It would seem if the box can be drawn to the maximum size that shows all the columns in the table, then maybe an easy override would be draw the table showing only one column??

Do you work on the development team for SQL Developer?
    Another idea would be to be able to zoom out so the resizing of objects would be easier.

Unfortunately your good suggestion of starting with Query Builder and finishing up requires more skill than I posses when working with many tables. I find it necessary to go back to the visual representation to understand all of my joins when I get many tables and then have a problem with my query. If only I could write it correct the first time.
  • 6. Re: Can I turn off Autofit for tables in Query Builder?
    Yes, I work on the development team.

You have a couple of good ideas there, but this component we're using doesn't necessarily allow us to add those zoom or auto resize features either unfortunately.

As you get more acquainted with Oracle SQL language and syntax, you'll need to rely on the Query Builder less and less. And in the meantime we can endeavor to improve the Query Builder, so at one point we can meet in the middle :)
  • 7. Re: Can I turn off Autofit for tables in Query Builder?
    Philip Stoyanov Guru
    Hi,

you can use Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler to build your queries. You need to import your objects into Data Modeler design and need to use create/edit view functionality where you'll find Query Builder to create your select statement.
    Data Modeler is included in each SQL Developer 3.x version or you can download its standalone version.

Philip

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points