This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2012 8:24 PM by sb92075 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Performance problem again 9i db
    EdStevens Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    KinsaKaUy? wrote:
    Yes, I read it already (before)

But if you are not using it for a long time you tend to forget :(
    But you asked "Does it l have explain plan tools? same with 11.2?" which you could have very easily answered for your self by consulting the documentation. Ok, so your forgot if it was available in 9i. You could still constult the documentation to see if it is or not.
  • 16. Re: Performance problem again 9i db
    Nikolay Savvinov Guru
    Hi,

I haven't worked with 9i for a while, plus, most of the databases I work with have Diagnostic & Tuning Pack license -- so I solve such problems with AWR (that includes both AWR reports and DBA_HIST_% views these reports are based on). Another option is ASH or V$ performance views (if you can catch the performance issue while it's still ongoing).

Best regards,
    Nikolay
  • 17. Re: Performance problem again 9i db
    846231 Newbie
    I thanks you all. :)

Yeah I can, but it is so much helpful if you have one time tool to remember. A tool that covers all aspects of performance tuning like statspack. So I do not have a hard time using or remembering other tools or which one to to use. I just hope that as Oracle is levelling up, it will provide a one-tool for performance tuning it which you can immediately see in its output the cause of the problem.
  • 18. Re: Performance problem again 9i db
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    I just hope that as Oracle is levelling up, it will provide a one-tool for performance tuning it which you can immediately see in its output the cause of the problem.
    >
    There never has been, and likely never will be, a 'one size fits all' tool especially to deal with problems in software such as 9i that is decades old.

Why would Oracle, or anyone, spend time, money or other resources to design a tool to detect problems with such ancient software? That time would be better spent on building new, better things.
  • 19. Re: Performance problem again 9i db
    jgarry Guru
    Is it a [url http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2012/05/another-debugging-story.html]rainy Monday?
  • 20. Re: Performance problem again 9i db
    846231 Newbie
    Thanks Nik,
    Why would Oracle, or anyone, spend time, money or other resources to design a tool to detect problems with such ancient software? That time would be better spent on building new, better things.
    Even in the latest versions of DBs like 11.2.0.x The tool seems did not improve or maybe little? when you hit performance issues. Statspack vs AWR. :)
  • 21. Re: Performance problem again 9i db
    sb92075 Guru
    when all else fails, Read The Fine Manual

http://www.oracle.com/pls/db112/portal.portal_db?selected=17&frame=
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points