5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2012 5:21 AM by 902332 RSS

11gR2 ASM, DB and OEM DB control for both

user99472
      DB and ASM: 11.2.0.1
      Single Server Installation

I installed the DB S/W under ORACLE_BASE/product/11.2.0/db_1 and created a DB and started OEM DB control. Everything is fine.

I then laid out the grid/ASM S/W only under ORACLE_BASE/product/11.2.0/grid.

I then configured ASM using oracleasm and asmca. ASM is up and running and the disk groups are ready.

Now, I want to manage ASM using the OEM DB control that I have running from the DB ORACLE_HOME.

Is this possible?

I have read many docs/notes about managing ASM from OEM but it appears that they are using the "grid" OEM binaries under ORACLE_BASE/product/11.2.0/grid/bin.

I suppose if I have to I can start 2 OEMs but I just thought that it would be nice if I could manage both from a single OEM DB control instance.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: 11gR2 ASM, DB and OEM DB control for both
          Levi Pereira
          Yes... You can use the page "Migrate to ASM" to add ASM As an Enterprise Manager Target.

You don't need migrate your database to ASM, only save configuration of ASM target on OEM and ASM can be managed by OEM

See this example.
          http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/demos/db/11g/r1/asm/migrating_to_asm_using_em/asmoemmig_viewlet_swf.html

Or you can create a tablespace (2mb) on ASM using OEM, it will add ASM as EM target. Then remove this tablespace and ASM target will be configured.

Edited by: Levi Pereira on Nov 9, 2012 3:13 PM
          • 2. Re: 11gR2 ASM, DB and OEM DB control for both
            user99472
            Very cool viewlet video -- soon all documentation will look like that.

I had an interesting experience.

I followed the steps to "Migrate to ASM" to get a feel for what the options were. I didn't want to migrate the DB right now so I entered the ASM credentials/config info on the 1st page and then de-selected "DB files" and selected "Recovery Related Files" to see what I might be able to migrate.

From the "Flash Recovery Area" page there is an option to "Setup Flash Recovery Area without Migrating Recovery-related Files".

I thought that this would be an easy thing to do first but I wanted to read the documentation for what this was going to do. So I canceled the whole "Migrate DB to ASM" operation.

Then, after reading up on what to expect I went back to the "Migrate to ASM" process again and at this point the ASM instance had already been discovered.

So it appears that simply configuring the first page of the "Migrate to ASM" operation is enough to prompt OEM to configure the ASM target.
            • 3. Re: 11gR2 ASM, DB and OEM DB control for both
              Hello Levi,

the link you provided "http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/demos/db/11g/r1/asm/migrating_to_asm_using_em/asmoemmig_viewlet_swf.html
              " is very usefull. could you please give the home link of this, that i can get all realted videos.

thanks
              • 4. Re: 11gR2 ASM, DB and OEM DB control for both
                Levi Pereira
                http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/tutorials/index.html
                • 5. Re: 11gR2 ASM, DB and OEM DB control for both
                  Thanks a lot guru... :)