4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2012 8:48 AM by Dan at Branchbird RSS

Backwards Compatibility Flags

TimK
      One of our dgraphs has the following parameters -
      --back_compat 601
      --back_compat 610
      --back_compat 614

Is there any known performance issues or has anyone a bad experience setting these flags? We're seeing some performance slowness with regards to navigation requests and I wonder if setting these might be a cause for our performance degradation.

-Tim
        • 1. Re: Backwards Compatibility Flags
          sabdelhalim
          Hi,

what version of MDEX are you running...at least 6.2 I guess ?
          are all your MDEXes running same version ?
          when you upgraded did you also upgrade your API version ?

regards
          Saleh
          • 2. Re: Backwards Compatibility Flags
            TimK
            Hi Saleh,
            I'm more interested in hearing about measured performance issues or anecdotal knowledge on how these flags may affect performance of the dgraph.
            Thanks,
            Tim
            • 3. Re: Backwards Compatibility Flags
              sabdelhalim
              Ok !
              then i'd suggest running Eneperf against this specific Dgraph and another one without flags (using the same file)
              regards
              Saleh
              • 4. Re: Backwards Compatibility Flags
                Dan at Branchbird
                Tim,

While I can't say with 100% certainty, I seriously doubt these flags have any impact on performance. The backward compatibility flags were built in so that customers could upgrade their version of the MDEX without having to upgrade their API logic on the front end (back two releases maximum). These flags instruct the MDEX to allow some older, possibly depricated, filter syntax to be processed. Therefore, my strong suspicion is that these flags themselves will have no impact on performance itself. The features you're using in the MDEX along with your data volume, data characteristics, and hardware/network will continue to be the main drivers for performance.

Thanks,
                Dan
                http://branchbird.com