This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2012 10:37 AM by Howard (... in Training) RSS

Desire asterisk by a page item label with no space between.

Howard (... in Training) Pro
Currently Being Moderated
{noformat}I have a number field page item with label (say, LABEL) and I want to prefix it with an asterisk to indicate a footnote (say, LABEL).  How to I do this without getting space between them (like, " LABEL"? It doesn't work to make the field label contain the asterisk (like, "*LABEL") because the error messages then reference "*LABEL" instead of "LABEL". [I'm using theme 17 with APEX 4.1 on Oracle 11.1/2.]
{noformat}
You can also see an example here. (using Dever/Ima9Dever) http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=43250:3
Here the page item is a Select List but the idea/issue is the same.

Thanks,
howard
  • 1. Re: Desire asterisk by a page item label with no space between.
    fac586 Guru
    Howard (DBA in Training) wrote:
    {noformat}I have a number field page item with label (say, LABEL) and I want to prefix it with an asterisk to indicate a footnote (say, *LABEL).
    What do you mean by "footnote"? What does the label actually say, and why does it require a "footnote"? If you explain the requirement in detail we may be able to identify HTML mark-up or a more-or-less standard design pattern to make the required information available in the most usable and accessible way.
    How to I do this without getting space between them (like, "* LABEL"?
    What are you doing now that results in space between them?
  • 2. Re: Desire asterisk by a page item label with no space between.
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Maybe he could use something like this:
    $('label[for="P1_CUSTOMER_NAME"]').html('New label');
    thank you,

Tony Miller
    Ruckersville, VA
  • 3. Re: Desire asterisk by a page item label with no space between.
    fac586,

I'm just a novice so I made "*" the default value in a display field. Now, as to your other question, "What do I mean by footnote?"

Say, what! In documents, it is common to provide notes referencing sources, etc. on various points given in the text. When these are few in number, a common method is to designate the first one with one *, the second, with **. If one has more than two, I'd use superscript numbers: 1,2,3,.... And the explanatory note(s) referenced are placed at the bottom of the page. In some documents where there are many notes, they are placed at the end of the document and called "endnotes".

Why does it require a footnote?" Oh, I couldn't say that it requires a footnote. I just want it to have a footnote! That's good enough for me. In my application, red asterisks (required.gif) are already appearing on the required fields, so I feel I need notes for them as well. So I'm adding my own to other fields. Thanks.

Tony,

Ahhhh! As a novice, your suggestion is, way, way over my head. And I don't even see an "*" in it.

Thanks All and God bless all the veterans out there -- USA, Canada, GB, ... ,
    Howard

Edited by: Howard (DBA in Training) on Nov 12, 2012 1:58 PM
  • 4. Re: Desire asterisk by a page item label with no space between.
    Patrick Wolf Employee ACE
    Hi Howard,

an alternative solution could be to use the item level help text instead which reduces UI clutter for users frequently using your app. Or you could use the Pre- or Post Text attribute to add a *)

Regards
    Patrick
    -----------
    My Blog: http://www.inside-oracle-apex.com
    APEX Plug-Ins: http://apex.oracle.com/plugins
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/patrickwolf
  • 5. Re: Desire asterisk by a page item label with no space between.
    Patrick,

Hi. Pre and post Test??? But those apply only to the element (i.e., the field) and not to the label. Right? It might make sense to put them on the element (field) but I'm following the lead of the required field notification that prefixes the label with the red asterisk given by required.gif.

Gid Bless,
    Howard
  • 6. Re: Desire asterisk by a page item label with no space between.
    {Gripe|} I really shouldn't gripe. APEX does wonderful things and is so flexible. There's just some very trivial things it doesn't have any obvious way of doing. Not that that's different from any other tool. {Gripe} But it's really the fault of HTML, isn't it. HTML is designed to separate items by default. Right?

Howard
  • 7. Re: Desire asterisk by a page item label with no space between.
    fac586 Guru
    Howard (DBA in Training) wrote:
    fac586,

I'm just a novice so I made "*" the default value in a display field. Now, as to your other question, "What do I mean by footnote?"

Say, what! In documents, it is common to provide notes referencing sources, etc. on various points given in the text. When these are few in number, a common method is to designate the first one with one *, the second, with **. If one has more than two, I'd use superscript numbers: 1,2,3,.... And the explanatory note(s) referenced are placed at the bottom of the page. In some documents where there are many notes, they are placed at the end of the document and called "endnotes".
    I am familiar with how footnotes and endnotes are used in traditional printed media. What I am trying to discover is what you are trying to annotate and why it is necessary to do so, in order to determine the best approach for your app. An HTML document is not the same as a book or magazine article. If you are reading a book and come across a footnote, you just glance at the bottom of the page to take it in. Similarly with endnotes, you probably mark the page containing the endnotes and flip between the current page and there when one is referenced. HTML documents are not read in the same way. Unlike the book, it's likely that the bottom of the page is not always visible at a glance; even likelier that the annotated text and associated note are never visible at the same time. What if the document is being read on a phone rather than your 24-inch desktop display? Maybe the user doesn't experience the document as 2-dimensional text. They might be listening to a screen reader, or using a Braille display. They might not even be human: search engine robots and script libraries might need to understand the relationship between the label and the annotation too.

Unlike traditional print media, HTML documents support both the definition of relationships between elements and interaction. You can create links to other documents, or from one part of the document to another (and back again). You can cause information to pop-up, expand out, slide in or hover in margins. You can define attributes containing additional information so that it is automatically provided to the user in the form that is most appropriate to the medium they are using. There are many ways we can provide annotations or supplementary information—all of them more useful, usable, semantic and accessible than what you are proposing—but in the absence of sufficiently detailed requirements we can't provide any guidance which is most suitable in this case.
    {Gripe|} I really shouldn't gripe. APEX does wonderful things and is so flexible. There's just some very trivial things it doesn't have any obvious way of doing. Not that that's different from any other tool. {Gripe}
    Can't say I've seen obvious footnote capabilities in Oracle Forms, Visual Studio/.NET, JDeveloper/ADF, or Ruby On Rails either..."footnotes" in the form you describe appear to me to be generally absent from web applications (and software UIs in general). That might be trying to tell us something...
    But it's really the fault of HTML, isn't it. HTML is designed to separate items by default. Right?
    HTML is a mark-up language for semantically describing the structure of documents. CSS is used to control presentation, and JavaScript to define behaviour. Where semantics involve annotating an element or providing supplementary information we should try to reflect this appropriately in the structure of the document, then consider how best to present this using CSS, and possibly provide interactive behaviour using JavaScript.
  • 8. Re: Desire asterisk by a page item label with no space between.
    fac586,

Wow. Thanks for the long comment in response to my long comment. But I think you're barking up the wrong tree. You have very nicely described why this is not usually done and how it might otherwise be done. But as it turns out, that doesn't help me. I certainly and sincerely thank you for the suggestions. Certainly good to remember for the future. One of them might have been the way to go.

But as it turns out, I know what I want and what the application -- which fits neatly on our large screens here -- will support. I don't want something else. And yes, I'm "drumming the ears" and "knuckling the head" of APEX for not having a simple, trivial, straight-forward way to do this. [Boy, ever have those done to you as a kid?  Hurts sometimes!] Okay, perhaps I'm being unfair to APEX. After all, not ever car is like a souped up James Bond Ast** Mart** DB5.

But I know what I want -- I think.

Kind regards,
    Howard
  • 9. Re: Desire asterisk by a page item label with no space between.
    All,

It is easy and trivial -- if you know how. Fateh had the answer.

In, 4.1, for the LABEL, set both Begin On New Line and Field to No. In 4.2, set Start New Grid : No, Start New Row : No and New Column : No. It worked for me.

I know, I don't have a good HTML / CSS / Javascript background so the intricate possibilities of these APEX setting are lost to me. So, it's practice, practice, practice, I guess.

Many thanks to all. Thanks for your patience. God Bless.
    Howard

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points