6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2012 5:19 AM by JohnWatson RSS

Calculation of kernel parameters if Multiple databases are created on same

Hi ,

Guru's please tell me the formula how to calcualte the kernel parameters if multiple database (for example ( 8 database )) are created on single server . How will i calulate and set the kernel parameters and lomits for oracle user .

Kindly give your thoughts on this . which are the most imporatanct which affects a lot in working of oracle database . Please This query is relevant for oracle 10g and 11g on linux and sun solaris

Regards ,
        • 1. Re: Calculation of kernel parameters if Multiple databases are created on same
          sb92075
          967462 wrote:
          Hi ,

Guru's please tell me the formula how to calcualte the kernel parameters if multiple database (for example ( 8 database )) are created on single server . How will i calulate and set the kernel parameters and lomits for oracle user .

Kindly give your thoughts on this . which are the most imporatanct which affects a lot in working of oracle database . Please This query is relevant for oracle 10g and 11g on linux and sun solaris

Regards ,
          sum of all SGA sizes should be less than RAM total
          • 2. Re: Calculation of kernel parameters if Multiple databases are created on same
            Hey thanks for repsonsing . Can u please elabarate on this more .This is requires much more calclaulation . There are many parameters so only I'm going to think from sga point of view . Is that only needed/calculated .

Regards ,

Edited by: 967462 on 12 Nov, 2012 10:37 AM
            • 3. Re: Calculation of kernel parameters if Multiple databases are created on same
              JohnWatson
              With Solaris, your system administrator must set up the project (not kernel parameters, they don't really exist in solaris 2.10) under which the instances run correctly, particularly the DISM and swap. If they aren't coordinated, your instances will die.
              Just one problem that I have hit. I'm sure there are more.
              • 4. Re: Calculation of kernel parameters if Multiple databases are created on same
                Osama_Mustafa
                Check MOS
                How does Solaris Operating System calculate available swap? [1010585.1]
                • 5. Re: Calculation of kernel parameters if Multiple databases are created on same
                  Helios-GunesEROL
                  Hi;

I belive we have to divede your issue 2 part. OS kernel parameter and Db related parameter

For OS level review:
                  SOLARIS: How To Determine UNIX Kernel Parameters [ID 138137.1]
                  Oracle Kernel Parameters For Several Instances On Linux [ID 948578.1]
                  SOLARIS: Shared Memory and Semaphore Kernel Parameters on Solaris (SPARC) Servers [ID 33244.1]

For Db related parameter the first thing is your As mention here your databases total SGA size have to small than your RAM size. If you give same size of RAM for your db than OS will be hang. For other Db related paramater review:

Relationship Between Common Init.ora Parameters and Unix, Linux Kernel Parameters [ID 144638.1]

PS:Please dont forget to change thread status to answered if it possible when u belive your thread has been answered, it pretend to lose time of other forums user while they are searching open question which is not answered,thanks for understanding

Regard
                  Helios
                  • 6. Re: Calculation of kernel parameters if Multiple databases are created on same
                    JohnWatson
                    Helios- Gunes EROL wrote:
                    Hi;
                    For OS level review:
                    SOLARIS: How To Determine UNIX Kernel Parameters [ID 138137.1]
                    Oracle Kernel Parameters For Several Instances On Linux [ID 948578.1]
                    SOLARIS: Shared Memory and Semaphore Kernel Parameters on Solaris (SPARC) Servers [ID 33244.1]

Solaris 10 doesn't use kernel parameters. Those notes are history. Following them, rather than setting up the project correctly, may be disastrous.