This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 1:27 AM by BillyVerreynne RSS

Popup alert on desktop

944789 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi , i have a small requirement, i am using .dot net frame work to show a pop up on desktop like reminder , can i do that using any oracle tools i am using oracle 10g along with forms 6i , i am using one query for this.
Well its not necesarry to be done in forms 6i , i am just pondering few options by
which we can achieve this objective , might be some easier way like i create views and based on schedule a pop displays on desktop.
For example there is one table for employee documents which maintains their passport information like when it is expiring.Befor one month of expiration date the pop up alerts the concerned user stating that some passports are due for renewal.

create table emp_docu ( emp_no varchar2(20),edoc varchar2(3),exp_dt date)

insert into emp_docu VALUES ('A','PP','30-NOV-2012')

insert into emp_docu VALUES ('B','PP','15-FEB-2013')
Since today is 12th november and since the first document falls under 30 days , altert or popup must appear on the screen stating that its due for renewal.

Edited by: Arif75 on Nov 11, 2012 11:36 PM
  • 1. Re: Popup alert on desktop
    920059 Explorer
    If you use .NET, why not use its API, ex. MessageBox?
  • 2. Re: Popup alert on desktop
    944789 Newbie
    how to do that ?
  • 3. Re: Popup alert on desktop
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Arif75 wrote:
    Hi , i have a small requirement, i am using .dot net frame work to show a pop up on desktop like reminder , can i do that using any oracle tools i am using oracle 10g along with forms 6i , i am using one query for this.
    To display a popup on the client, you need to decide the basic architecture for this - client initiated popup (data pull), or server initiated popup (data push)?

If client initiated, you need client s/w that queries the database, and if an event found for the client, initiating a popup. The client can be a 24x7 process - an active background process connected to the database, using a timer to every 60s or so check the database for an event. The client can also something like DBMS_XEVENT or DBMS_PIPE for reading database events.

If server initiated, the client needs to run a messaging service of sorts that the server code can send a notification too. Windows for example has a NetBIOS messaging service (refer to the NET SEND and MSG commands on Windows). When using this approach, the server is responsible for dealing with failed notification attempts (client not on network/not reachable/whatever) and retry attempts. Another server initiated method could be mobile (SMS) notifications.
    For example there is one table for employee documents which maintains their passport information like when it is expiring.Befor one month of expiration date the pop up alerts the concerned user stating that some passports are due for renewal.
    How this is dealt with depends entirely on business requirements and ability to audit what happened and what fail to happen.
  • 4. Re: Popup alert on desktop
    944789 Newbie
    Thanks for the response billy, can i get any examples on net to accomplish this task or can you send me some articles which i can read and implement this
  • 5. Re: Popup alert on desktop
    920059 Explorer
    This is documentation about MessageBox on Windows Forms http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.messagebox.aspx , but it exists in other frameworks. So, the using class depends on the type of your app (WF, WPF, ASP.NET). If you retrieve data from Oracle, you could place it in the text of the message to show.
  • 6. Re: Popup alert on desktop
    Arif75 wrote:
    Thanks for the response billy, can i get any examples on net to accomplish this task or can you send me some articles which i can read and implement this
    First explain the architecture you want to use and the business requirements. For example, what happens to notifications that are late and failed delivery? Retry? Escalate? Try smtp notification instead? Delete notification?

Is there a requirement for notifications on devices that do not have an Oracle client (OCI or JDBC)? Are the devices uniform in nature (same o/s, same s/w)? Do notifications need to be acknowledge by the recipient and does that acknowledgement need to be recorded in the database?

Etc..

A solution is only as good as the problem description. You need to detail the problem description.
  • 7. Re: Popup alert on desktop
    944789 Newbie
    Thanks billy , i do agree with you, let me explain you in detail, with regards to architecture , we are using client-server using forms 6i with oracle 10g as backend, i want it client based on user desktop where popups will be displayed only just for information sake , no need for any retry or esclate options , i dont want to use smtp .

Is there a requirement for notifications on devices that do not have an Oracle client (OCI or JDBC)? Are the devices uniform in nature (same o/s, same s/w)? -- yes they are uniform in nature , i can install client on the computers depending on the solution you give me.

Do notifications need to be acknowledge by the recipient and does that acknowledgement need to be recorded in the database? --not a must ,if the options are avaialbe its ok.

All i need is a simple alert popup message on desktop of users.Please give me in details step by step how to do it.
  • 8. Re: Popup alert on desktop
    If you want to do it using Oracle Forms specifically, you should be asking the question, +"how to create a <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modal_window">Modal Window</a>?"+ in the *{forum:id=82}* OTN forum and not here.

One example I found from a quick google is Oracle Forms popup dialog alert box.
  • 9. Re: Popup alert on desktop
    944789 Newbie
    yes billy this is for forms but i want to run it on desktop , something using timer and we dont need to have form open everytime.
  • 10. Re: Popup alert on desktop
    Arif75 wrote:
    yes billy this is for forms but i want to run it on desktop , something using timer and we dont need to have form open everytime.
    Then you need an alternative client to Forms. A custom Java or .Net client application for example.

Or you need to push the popups (as NetBIOS messages for example), from the server.

Either way, you need a client to check for notifications, or the server to push the notifications.
  • 11. Re: Popup alert on desktop
    944789 Newbie
    Thanks billy for the solution , kindly give me some references or link for .net application or java which does this popup.
  • 12. Re: Popup alert on desktop
    Do not write Java or .Net code - suggest that you point your browser to your favourite search engine and have a look.

Keep in mind that simply changing the language from Forms to something else, does not change the nature or scope of the problem. The client s/w created needs to reside on all clients - so how is deployment going to be addressed? It needs to work properly on all clients, ito database drivers, supporting the relevant client kernel (service pack and updates). It needs (in .Net's case for example), the applicable run-time libraries. Etc.

Then there's the issue of updates and patches. How are these going to be handled? You will need to deploy new versions of that client s/w. You will need to deploy patches for the .Net framework or Java RTS on all clients, to keep them secure. Exactly the same issues you have with Forms at the moment.

I'm not a fan of Forms at all - never was, and still dislike it. However, I would think sound justification is needed for not wanting to do this in the existing Forms environment, and wanting to introduce a new language with its own set of run-time requirements.
  • 13. Re: Popup alert on desktop
    974362 Newbie
    Mr. Arif,

Do you get any solution? I'm also finding a solution as like you --- to show a pop-up window using Oracle 10g and Form 6i. If you get any solution then plz post it here with example. Thanks...

@Billy, plz give specific solution with example. So that anybody can follow that and get a solution easilly. Thanks...

Mamun.
  • 14. Re: Popup alert on desktop
    This is not an Oracle Forms forum. This forum deals with the SQL and PL/SQL languages - not Forms.

I have provided links to an example of a Forums popup dialog box and the OTN Forms Forum above.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points