This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 6:18 AM by 972515 RSS

Missing Developer Toolbar on SSO for APEX 4.2

972515 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hey guys,

We have upgraded the APEX environment to the latest version (4.2.0.0.27) last week and we've seen that the developer toolbar is available only if we use the Application Express Authentication. If we use SSO it doesn't work (nothing is displayed in the page or in the source). Can you please help us with this issue? It is pretty annoying since we use only SSO for all our applications.

Thanks a lot,
Alex

Edited by: user13109803 on Nov 5, 2012 7:21 AM

Edited by: user13109803 on Nov 6, 2012 3:18 AM

Edited by: user13109803 on Nov 6, 2012 3:19 AM
  • 1. Re: Missing Developer Toolbar on SSO for APEX 4.2
    972515 Newbie
    Any help on this item guys?

Thanks,
    Alex
  • 2. Re: Missing Developer Toolbar on SSO for APEX 4.2
    Christian Neumueller Expert
    Hi Alex,

can you reproduce the issue on apex.oracle.com?

Regards,
    Christian
  • 3. Re: Missing Developer Toolbar on SSO for APEX 4.2
    972515 Newbie
    Hey Christian,

Unfortunately on apex.oracle.com it works.
    But I have found an interesting thing. On the same server we have another workspace defined and on that workspace the developer toolbar works when the user connects with SSO (same application on both environments). Very weird!
    I would say that it must be something related to the workspaces definition but I'm not sure what to look for, and anyway they where both created before the upgrade and the dev toolbar was working before for both of them.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Alex
  • 4. Re: Missing Developer Toolbar on SSO for APEX 4.2
    Hi Alex,

there is nothing authentication specific or workspace specific that determines whether the dev toolbar shows or not. It requires

- a valid builder session for the app's workspace
    - #DEVELOPER_TOOLBAR# in the page template
    - "Run and Build" application status

and it can potentially be impacted by page/region caching.

One other thing comes to my mind. Recently, we had a case inside of Oracle, where a server had 2 DNS names. Developers logged in via the 1st name, but the SSO registration was for the other name. Therefore, SSO login redirected back to the other name. Because of HTTP Cookie security, the builder session cookie (required for detecting a valid builder session) was not visible for requests to the 2nd name.

Regards,
    Christian
  • 5. Re: Missing Developer Toolbar on SSO for APEX 4.2
    972515 Newbie
    Hi Christian,

It might be something related to the DNS, but I have to check.

I've also found out that APEX_Application.g_edit_cookie_session_id is NULL for applications that run in this workspace. But I'm not sure when it is set or what might be the issue with it. I know that checking this variable we can see if we are developers or not. The weird thing is that if I select "Application available for Developers only" status, I can connect to the app (so I'm seen as a Developer) even though that variable is still NULL.

Thanks a lot,
    Alex
  • 6. Re: Missing Developer Toolbar on SSO for APEX 4.2
    Bobster13 Newbie
    Hi Alex,
    I had a similar issue. Not sure why?
    Here's what I did to work around... Log-in via the workspace login > Application builder > Run application > Login to SSO.
    Here is where you lose the toolbar if I'm understanding...? Same thing I saw.

Without logging out of SSO, click on the link and enter the workspace log-in again.. Application builder > Run application.
    Since you did-not log out of SSO, you should just be in the application....The toolbar should be there also.
    Hope it works..a hassle, but worked for me.
    Bob
  • 7. Re: Missing Developer Toolbar on SSO for APEX 4.2
    972515 Newbie
    Hey Bob,

Nope, It doesn't work :(

Thanks,
    Alex
  • 8. Re: Missing Developer Toolbar on SSO for APEX 4.2
    Hi Alex,

the DNS check is quite trivial. The hostname in the URL changes after SSO authentication if that's the case. Since g_edit_cookie_session_id is NULL, Apex probably can not see the builder session cookie (ORA_WWV_USER_xxxxx). I would use Firebug or the Chrome developer extension, to trace network traffic (especially hosts, paths and cookies).

There are also cases where the application inadvertently causes requests to /apex/ which get translated to /apex/f?p=4550:1 and trigger a new builder session (and thereby breaking the old one, because the builder session cookie changes). For example, I encountered that with Apex Listener standalone (a bug routes /favicon.ico to /apex/) and a notification plugin (the request was hidden somewhere in CSS, IIRC).

Regards,
    Christian
  • 9. Re: Missing Developer Toolbar on SSO for APEX 4.2
    972515 Newbie
    Thanks Christian!!!

It seems the issue was happening because we were connecting to APEX Dev Environment with one link (https://host/pls/apex_ZZZZZ) and when we're running the apps from this workspace we were being redirected to https://host/pls/apex_XXXXX.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points