This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2012 9:39 AM by Aman.... RSS

DBCA templates

936749 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I'm trying to modify my dbca template to include two control files. One on ASM +RECO and we we're thinking of adding the second one on the database filesystem $ORACLE_BASE/something/something
Within the template there are references to controlfiles two places:

Initparameter:
<initParam name="control_files" value="(&quot;{ORACLE_BASE}/oradata/{DB_UNIQUE_NAME}/control01.ctl&quot;, &quot;{ORACLE_BASE}/fast_recovery_area/{DB_UNIQUE_NAME}/control02.ctl&quot;)"/>

and

<StorageAttributes>
<ControlfileAttributes id="Controlfile">
<maxDatafiles>32767</maxDatafiles>
<maxLogfiles>1024</maxLogfiles>
<maxLogMembers>3</maxLogMembers>
<maxLogHistory>32767</maxLogHistory>
<maxInstances>8</maxInstances>
<image name="control01.ctl" filepath="{ORACLE_BASE}/oradata/{DB_UNIQUE_NAME}/"/>
<image name="control02.ctl" filepath="+RECO"/>
</ControlfileAttributes>

With this configuration there is only one controlfile created and that is on +RECO.
What am I doing wrong and also should I add the second controlfile to +DATA instead of fielsystem $ORACLE_BASE?
Regards
  • 1. Re: DBCA templates
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    Template is Pre confiugred database , after use template you can multiplex controlfile as you want
  • 2. Re: DBCA templates
    PavanKumar Guru
    Hi,

I see the template reflects to correct location as your requirement, if the controlfile is not getting created can you try to dig further in the logs of database creation.
    Are you using dbca -slient ? If yes, then please post the statement, so that we can force to use the parameter using other options

- Pavan Kumar N
  • 3. Re: DBCA templates
    936749 Newbie
    Osama_mustafa wrote:
    Template is Pre confiugred database , after use template you can multiplex controlfile as you want
    Hi,
    Yes as we're migrating a lot of databases we'd like the template to be as correct as possible and to ensure that we do in fact create two controlfiles on each database.
  • 4. Re: DBCA templates
    936749 Newbie
    Pavan Kumar wrote:
    Hi,

I see the template reflects to correct location as your requirement, if the controlfile is not getting created can you try to dig further in the logs of database creation.
    Are you using dbca -slient ? If yes, then please post the statement, so that we can force to use the parameter using other options

- Pavan Kumar N
    No we use DBCA GUI to create the databases.
    Will there be an issue if the directory of the controlfile is not created at the time we run DBCA?
  • 5. Re: DBCA templates
    PavanKumar Guru
    Hi,

It should get created, I don't know what could be the reason, in order to find out the issue you can go through logs, else you can skip and continue with your work and create the things manually and proceed and you can try checking the same with some test database, in order to resolve the issue, left for your concern.

- Pavan Kumar N
  • 6. Re: DBCA templates
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    One long shot thought that is coming to the mind is the permission issue related to the directory creation over the ASM device. What's the database release that we are talking about here?

Aman....

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points