This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2012 4:54 AM by Marcel Hoefs RSS

Ututil error _execv() failed, err=2

Marcel Hoefs Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Has anybody experienced the following error when executing SQL Developer's command line utility for unit testing ututil: _execv() failed, err=2*

My system has the following characteristics:
- Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
- SQL Developer 3.2.20.09.87 64 bit
- JDK 1.6.0.37 64 bit
- Oracle 11.2.0.3 Enterprise Edition 64 bit

Based on information found on the internet and Oracle Support this seems to be a supported combination.

Any help is highly appreciated.
  • 1. Re: Ututil error _execv() failed, err=2
    Jim Smith Expert
    I see this all the time with 64-bit SQLDevelope main programr.

It seems to be is harmless.

I suspect it is the initial executable trying to run something that isn't available on 64-bit windows before it launches java.
  • 2. Re: Ututil error _execv() failed, err=2
    Marcel Hoefs Newbie
    Hi Jim,

Thank you for your suggestion. But isn't it strange that a certified combination of software components doesn't work? I agree that it is a harmless phenomenon for the SQL Developer GUI, but it prevents the use of ututil. This is exactly the component I need to use.

I can of course reinstall everything using the 32 bit versions, but I very much would like to hear why this is not listed as a known issue in the 64 bit version of SQL Developer.
  • 3. Re: Ututil error _execv() failed, err=2
    Jim Smith Expert
    I'll admit I don't use ututil, but if I run it with no parameters, it continues after the exec error with a usage message.
    D:\progs\sqldeveloper64-3.2.20.09.87\sqldeveloper\bin>ututil
    _execv() failed, err=2
    ututil -run ?
    ututil -exp ?
    ututil -imp ?
    Is it that error which is stopping you using it or something else? I've not seen any other reports of it not working on 64-bit windows
  • 4. Re: Ututil error _execv() failed, err=2
    Marcel Hoefs Newbie
    Hi Jim,

You are exactly right. I wrongfully assumed that the error meant that ututil didn't work. But is does despite the "_execv() failed, err=2" error.

Thank you for pointing this out to me.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points