This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 2:26 PM by Dude! Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: ASM Setup Questions
    user10437903 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    See below
  • 16. Re: ASM Setup Questions
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Regarding resizing, I think the OP will be limited by the RAID-5 setup anyway. The OP cannot add space without reinitializing the underlying RAID or adding an additional RAID controller.
    The choice of 4 Luns on this particular case is not about RAID, HA or Performance.

This is because ASM data distribution policy is capacity-based. So, 2 Diskgroups (DATA and FRA) with 200GB each despite being small can be a problem when we need to do future changes.

Today his plan is store backup on FRA on future he may change backup location to TAPE or NAS or other location, so he can use these Luns to Diskgroup DATA keeping FRA (with small size) to archivelogs only.

I have experienced this scenario. (Needed add more space on Diskgroup DATA because FRA have some space that is not being used)
    ARRAY size 800GB
    1 Lun (400GB) to Diskgroup DATA and 1 LUN (400G) to Diskgroup FRA. No space left on Array to create additional LUNs.
    So, my option was move FRA to remote location, destroy LUN used by FRA, create 4 Luns of 100GB and add on DATA without rebalance, remove LUN of 400GB of DG DATA with rebalance and destroy this LUN 400GB creating 4 LUNs of 100GB.
    So, I added more 2 LUN of 100GB on DISKGROUP DATA and 2 LUN of 100GB on FRA and move back the files to FRA.

A lot of work that could be saved just by creating smaller LUNs.
  • 17. Re: ASM Setup Questions
    user10437903 Newbie
    I have the following setup for OEM 12c Cloud Control Repository. I can't buy any hardware and I limited to the hardware you see. I think its best I list the requirements and see if anyone has a better design given the needs.

Physical Specs
    1 RAID Controller
    2 X 35 Gb HD
    4 X 300 GB HD

RAID Option:
    2 X 35 Gb HD - RAID 1
    2 X 300 Gb HD - RAID 5

Install Needs:
    OS and SWAP (currently on 2 x 35 Gb HD's)
    ---------
    100 GB Needed for:
    Oracle Staging Area (currently partition of 4 300 GB HD's)
    Oracle Binary Backup Area (currently partition of 4 300 GB HD's)
    Oracle Grid Infrastructure Binaries (currently partition of 4 300 GB HD's)
    Oracle Database Software Binaries (currently partition of 4 300 GB HD's)
    ---------
    150 Gb Needed for:
    Oracle Datafiles (currently ASM DATA Disk Group) - datafiles for Oracle database
    ---------
    150 Gb Needed for:
    Oracle Recovery Files (current ASM - FRA Disk Group) - Flashback files etc.
    ---------
    150 Gb Needed for:
    Software Library (currently partition of 4 300 GB HD's) - plug-ins, patches, deployment procedures etc
    -----------
    Backup's will be done to VTL.

Thanks.
  • 18. Re: ASM Setup Questions
    Dude! Guru
    Ok, but the use of different disk groups for FRA or DATA is not mandatory. If the hardware is fixed and ASM setup does not benefit from striping or redundancy, what's stopping the OP from creating one single disk group with external redundancy, store everything Oracle in it and forget about resizing? One RAID, one disk failure group. I understand the fun and challenge of partitioning and creating a fancy setup and emulating best practices, but with the given hardware setup I think it's just cosmetics. Whether performance / CPU utilization will be better with multiple virtual or logical drives, perhaps, depending on system bottleneck.

Edited by: Dude on Nov 8, 2012 6:44 PM
  • 19. Re: ASM Setup Questions
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    I agree with you ... Creating diskgroup FRA and DATA on same array is cosmetics. Because it will end up on same disk and creating one Diskgroup will save space and reduce administration (since FRA utilization can be managed by Database). From point that Storage H/W is limited to this configuration mentioned above, one LUN can be a option.

This is a small setup (Hardware) so, we make things simpler if the advanced is not needed. ;)
  • 20. Re: ASM Setup Questions
    user10437903 Newbie
    So, one Disk Group like +DATA.  Regarding ASM Disk, how are you recommending setup?

ASM Disk Group
    DATA (only one Disk Group)

ASM Disks
    Setup1: 1 600 Gb LUN, 1 400 Gb ASM Disk for all ASM related files and NO ASM REDUNDANCY
    Setup2: 4 150 Gb LUN, 4 150 Gb ASM Disks for all ASM related files with Stripe on Stripe (ASM External Redundancy) since underlining Physical Disk would be RAID.
    Setup3: Some other setup you recommend?

RAID
    What RAID would you use given the setup choice? RAID 5 is the current choice but it seems that any other selection would substantially reduce over storage. Given my storage needs it doesnt seem to be possible to use any other RAID.

ASM Parameter File
    Would you put the asmparameterfile in the same disk group or elsewhere?

Thanks.
  • 21. Re: ASM Setup Questions
    user10437903 Newbie
    So, one Disk Group like +DATA. Regarding ASM Disk, how are you recommending setup?

ASM Disk Group
    DATA (only one Disk Group)

ASM Disks
    Setup1: 1 600 Gb LUN, 1 400 Gb ASM Disk for all ASM related files and NO ASM REDUNDANCY
    Setup2: 4 150 Gb LUN, 4 150 Gb ASM Disks for all ASM related files with Stripe on Stripe (ASM External Redundancy) since underlining Physical Disk would be RAID.
    Setup3: Some other setup you recommend?

RAID
    What RAID would you use given the setup choice? RAID 5 is the current choice but it seems that any other selection would substantially reduce over storage. Given my storage needs it doesnt seem to be possible to use any other RAID.

ASM Parameter File
    Would you put the asmparameterfile in the same disk group or elsewhere?

Thanks.
  • 22. Re: ASM Setup Questions
    Dude! Guru
    Please see my previous answer about the Hardware RAID you should use. It depends on your acceptable device fault tolerance, vs. capacity and performance considerations, also depending on your storage controller.

From the setup you provided, I suggest to create 4 drives (LUN) of the same size on your RAID storage. Then ceate one big partition on each of the 4 drives and use e.g. Linux ASMLib to assign these partitions to ASM. In ASM create one diskgroup (+DATA) using the 4 ASM disks with external redundancy.

I would not throw the discussion regarding the location of ASM parameter into this thread. It's a completely different subject.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points