EdStevens Guru
Currently Being Moderated
Oracle 11.2.0.1
Oracle Linux 5.6 x86-64
--
SQL Developer 3.2.20.09
Win 7 Pro 32-bit
--
Just downloaded and installed latest SQL Developer, specifically to experiment with the job scheduler wizard. At first blush it appeared to give the easy user interface I want for my developers, but on closer inspection I noticed that when it generates the sql to call dbms_scheduler, it encloses the user provided job name in double-quotes. Thus, the job names get created in the data dictionary with case-sensitivity. We all know what THAT means! A quick run through the config options didn't turn up anything I recognized as an adjustment to this behavior. Telling the developers "always enter your job name in all caps, or I'll slap your hand with a ruler" isn't really an acceptable alternative.

Ideas?
  • 1. Re: sql developer generating case-sensitive object names
    rp0428 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    >
    Just downloaded and installed latest SQL Developer, specifically to experiment with the job scheduler wizard. At first blush it appeared to give the easy user interface I want for my developers, but on closer inspection I noticed that when it generates the sql to call dbms_scheduler, it encloses the user provided job name in double-quotes. Thus, the job names get created in the data dictionary with case-sensitivity. We all know what THAT means!
    >
    I would consider that a bug. Per the Oracle® SQL Developer User's Guide Release 3.0
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18464_01/doc.30/e17472/dialogs.htm
    >
    Note:

For all Name fields, any name that you type is automatically converted to and stored in the database metadata in uppercase, unless you enclose the name in quotation marks (" "). (Names of database objects in SQL and PL/SQL statements are not case-sensitive.)
    To include lowercase characters, special characters, or spaces in object names, enclose the name in quotation marks (" ") when you type it. Example: "My table"
    >
    There have been several complaints in the forum about extracted DDL putting double quotes around names but that is appropriate and necessary to ensure that the DDL creates the proper name when it is executed.
    >
    Ideas?
    >
    Several of the developers are active in this forum so if you wait a bit one one them is likely to respond. They can speak authoritively about the issue.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points