3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 9:33 AM by Roel Hartman RSS

Creating an app that works on both Desktop and Mobile

Sam_06
      I am checking out the APEX 4.2 Mobile features which are really cool. I know that there is now an option in the shared components to set the home page/theme for Desktop display as well as for Mobile display. So the app would automatically know what interface should be rendered based on the device running on.
      My question is: Do I need two versions of each app page (just like the login page) in order to have the app work on BOTH desktop and Mobile ? the reason I am asking is that an AEPX page can have one and only one template/theme. So if I have an app (desktop app) of 10 pages , should I replicate those 10 pages and make them mobile pages. If yes then how do I tell the to navigate differently (branch from page to page) based on the used device ?
        • 1. Re: Creating an app that works on both Desktop and Mobile
          Roel Hartman
          You can either create Desktop Pages and Mobile Pages within the same application - with their own navigation and such, but they can share the PL/SQL code, Application Processes, LOV's and other Shared Components

or

Create an application using the new Responsive Web Design theme. That one renders differently depending on the screen size of your browser....
          • 2. Re: Creating an app that works on both Desktop and Mobile
            Sam_06
            Thanks Roel. I was hoping the same app (on set of pages and navigations) can work on both but it seems that I was hoping for too much.. I am sure this will be doable some day in APEX.
            Yes I already tried theme 25 and it looks kind of between Desktop and Mobile, it does not render 100% similar to how to renders on Mobile using the mobile theme...

Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Creating an app that works on both Desktop and Mobile
              Roel Hartman
              It surely doesn't render the same as a "real" Mobile application. A jQuery Mobile based application uses the (different) jQuery Mobile CSS (look and feel). But again, you can reuse the Shared Components (and all the database stuff) in both Desktop and Mobile application when you have to create two totally different looking apps (with the same - or similar - functionality).