This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 4:26 AM by Howard (... in Training) RSS

Easy does it. Classic Report with Column Totals example?

Howard (... in Training) Pro
Currently Being Moderated
Does someone have a short, simple, straight-forward example of a CLASSIC Report with, say, 3 columns that are totaled in the report footer. I can't find a simple example which actually illustrates how this is done. I'm not looking for control break logic or anything fancy. Just total each of several columns. Oh, and make column 1 a sequence number column or whatever that isn't totaled.

Thanks in advance,
Howard
  • 1. Re: Easy does it. Classic Report with Column Totals example?
    Mindmap Pro
    Hello,
    Just edit your Report >> Report Attributes ....
    Tick the sum check box for the required columns...

Best Regards,
    Fateh
  • 2. Re: Easy does it. Classic Report with Column Totals example?
    Thanks, Fateh. But again. Can't anyone point me to one short, simple, straight-forward example of a CLASSIC Report with, say, 3 columns that are totaled in the report footer? Just one example where I can see the code?
  • 3. Re: Easy does it. Classic Report with Column Totals example?
    matthew_morris Expert
    Can't anyone point me to one short, simple, straight-forward example of a CLASSIC Report with, say, 3 columns that are totaled in the report footer?
    I'm missing something here. In a classic report, there is a 'Sum' checkbox in the Report Attributes screen that totals the column values. Why would you need code?
  • 4. Re: Easy does it. Classic Report with Column Totals example?
    Hi Matthew,

Confusion in terminology. In this case, APEX is the "code" I want to see!

I just want to see the APEX of a working example. This is so trivial. Why areN'T there a dozen examples on the WWW?
    Google brings up lots of complicated stuff but I find no simple examples for the beginner.

Thanks,
    Howard
  • 5. Re: Easy does it. Classic Report with Column Totals example?
    matthew_morris Expert
    Howard:

Still not quite sure what you're referring to. The 'normal' way to create a classic report with totals uses the Apex development interface. Lots of clicking (including clicking check boxes for the sum), but no coding. The end result generates HTML, which might be the code you're referring to, but I doubt it.

Are you talking about generating a Classic report programmatically via PL/SQL rather than through the Apex interface?
  • 6. Re: Easy does it. Classic Report with Column Totals example?
    matthew_morris Expert
    Howard:

If all you're really looking for is the steps on how to use the interface to create a Classic report with column totals, the best place to find that is here:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23903_01/doc/doc.41/e21674/bldapp_rpt_att.htm#BCEIEEDJ
  • 7. Re: Easy does it. Classic Report with Column Totals example?
    Matthew,

I'm having a terrible time getting folks to pay attention. I ask for a very short, simple, trivial, straight-forward example and I get everything but.

Thanks, your assistance is appreciated. Really. It is. It's nice to know people care. But I've been over that page and many others today. ...

How about a simple example? Surely somone must know how to do this. Right?

May God Bless,
    Howard

Edited by: Howard (DBA in Training) on Nov 14, 2012 9:39 PM

(more) If you look, you'll see I facitiously entitled this question "Easy does it." I just knew I'd get reply after reply and not a single example. I've got to think there's at least a small problem here somewhere -- with the forum, I mean.
  • 8. Re: Easy does it. Classic Report with Column Totals example?
    matthew_morris Expert
    I'm having a terrible time getting folks to pay attention.
    I won't post what I'd really like to post in response to that. I don't believe that I was not paying attention to your question. I came in to this after you were asking for the 'code' to create a Classic report with totals. Code has a reasonably specific meaning. Creating a classic report via the Apex interface doesn't qualify. That particular red herring threw me way off in trying to figure out exactly what you were asking for.

For that matter, you still haven't clearly defined what you're looking for, but at this point I'm reasonably confident that you want a step-by-step tutorial (presumably with screenshots) on creating a classic report that includes exactly when to click the 'Sum' checkbox. Prior to locating the specific documentation page for editing Classic reports, I checked to see if there was an Oracle-By-Example for creating and modifying classic reports. Unfortunately there is not (or at least not one that I could locate). There are several for Interactive reports. Part of the reason for this is that Interactive reports are considerably more complicated to create due to the increased number of options available.

What exactly is it that you are missing from documentation that you need in order to perform this task? Under the section on Altering Classic Report Layout Using Column Attributes, it provides a screenshot and indicates how to set the Sum value for a column.

If you need to go a step back to actually creating a report, that information is here:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23903_01/doc/doc.41/e21674/bldapp_rpt_create.htm#CHDCAFBJ

Creating a classic report is simple and the documentation on doing so is complete. Where exactly is the disconnect here?

I've got to think there's at least a small problem here somewhere -- with the forum, I mean.
    I agree. It's incredible how difficult it is to get people to post questions that clearly indicate what they are looking for.
  • 9. Re: Easy does it. Classic Report with Column Totals example?
    Hi Matthew,

You sure wrote a lot. I'm sure you meant it all to be very helpful. But let me try, as you say, to "clearly defined what ... [I'm] looking for". What I want is an EXAMPLE, an APEX example program where someone actuallly does this. I don't want a tutorial. I don't want documentation.

My original request. "Does someone have a short, simple, straight-forward example of a CLASSIC Report with, say, 3 columns that are totaled in the report footer. I can't find a simple example which actually illustrates how this is done. I'm not looking for control break logic or anything fancy. Just total each of several columns. Oh, and make column 1 a sequence number column or whatever that isn't totaled."

Now, at long last, perhaps it's clear what I have in mind. Or not. ???

At this point, I doubt you believe me that I REALLY do appreciate all the effort and attention. But I do!

But, at the same time, I get a little ticked(sp?) when I see folks [NOT YOU!] who have helped hundreds and hundreds of other folks seemingly not listening. I picked up on this quickly in the forum. Example: Newbie: Do you have a match? Expert: Have you read this documentation on how to start a bonfire. It's just the thing! Oh, you don't want a match. How about an LCD flashlight? ...

But I've taught and tutored and I know sometimes it gets very difficult to restrain one's self from jumping down the throat of the 10th person to ask the same less than insightful question.

God bless,
    Howard
    P.S. Seen any good examples?
  • 10. Re: Easy does it. Classic Report with Column Totals example?
    Doh. I could create the report page myself; it would have been faster. Then I'd ask someone to add the three column totals at the end. Take me maybe 20 minutes. But the hour grows late.

Night all!
  • 11. Re: Easy does it. Classic Report with Column Totals example?
    matthew_morris Expert
    I'm sure you meant it all to be very helpful.
    s'not worth my time to post and not try to be helpful.
    What I want is an EXAMPLE, an APEX example program where someone actuallly does this. I don't want a tutorial. I don't want documentation.
    I've done tech support of one sort or another for a couple of decades. A large portion of the art of generating the correct answer to a question is figuring out what the question being asked really is. At this point I still can't figure out what you're looking for that requires the artificial restrictions you are putting on the type of answer you get. The documentation clearly shows how to use the wizard to create a classic report and how to mark columns to be totaled. Since that isn't sufficient, the information you are seeking isn't really how to total the columns in a classic report.

There are several problems with finding an example that specifically shows the steps involved in creating a classic report that totals columns:
    1. Classic reports are dated. Since Oracle created Interactive reports, the vast majority of their documentation is about IRs, not CRs.
    2. Before Interactive Reports existed, 'Classic Reports' didn't exist (any more than 'Classic Coke' existed before 'the 'New Coke' fiasco). Since pretty much everyone has moved on the IRs, finding an example done by someone other than Oracle requires searching for old pages without good search terms. Most commonly 'Classic Reports' used to be called 'Wizard Reports', but not always.
    3. Creating a Classic report is a matter of clicking through a really simple wizard. Adding column totals is a matter of clicking a checkbox or two. The process is so ridiculously simple that it's difficult to imagine someone taking the time to create a detailed example of how to do it. What would be the point?

That said. I'll let someone else take over. I cry uncle.
  • 12. Re: Easy does it. Classic Report with Column Totals example?
    Okay. I created my own example! It really wasn't hard.

I was hoping that the constructed report footer metadata would be presented and configurable. I didn't see any "declarative" way to format the "totals" line. Well, it is what it is. No point criticizing a camel because it's not a horse.

Now I need to return to my project to see why the totals are not appearing there.

Regards,
    Howard

Edited by: Howard (DBA in Training) on Nov 15, 2012 7:22 AM
    (more) My goodness! Now I see why it's failing. ou can't get a sum for the first column! The "report total:" literal in that position prevents it! I don't know if there are "declarative" ways around this. I don't think I'm even going to try to get around it.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points