This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 7:53 AM by Ryan S. RSS

Modify component

974407 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

I would like to modify an existing component, the results list component for example. I am using EID version 2.3. I've allready installed EID_2.3_Studio_components_sdk succsessfully. Is there a way to load existing components into Eclipse and make the needed modifications?

Thanks and regards,
Urs
  • 1. Re: Modify component
    Branchbird - Pat Journeyer
    Someone from Product Managment will likely chime in about future plans but the current state is that as of EID 2.3, Oracle no longer ships the source code for the out of the box portlets.

There are a number of supported extension points on the front end (for example, custom actions) that may give you what you need without having to customize the core portlet code. If that's not enough, there are a handful of partners (our company included), as well as customers, that have built custom components from the ground up. You could engage with them and they could advise you on the best course of action.

A final option: If it's a relatively small tweak that involves only the presentation logic (CSS, JS, JSP, etc.), you could tweak that code yourself as that does ship with the portlets themselves (no way around that when building a web app). However, I'm unsure about the "warranty"/"support" implications of making changes there so you'd probably want to touch base with your account/partner rep to make sure you're in compliance.

Regards,

Patrick Rafferty
    patrick.rafferty@branchbird.com
  • 2. Re: Modify component
    Ryan S. Explorer
    Urs,

No method exists for loading existing component code into the SDK (We are working to understand if we can provide any design patterns for component creation). Patrick's suggesting of modifying the css/jsp may work but is not warrantied and may present issues with upgrading.

- Ryan

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points