This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2012 7:23 PM by user11974810 RSS

11.2.0.3 grid rac install -- PRVF-9802 : Attempt to get udev info from node

user489552 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

Installing 2-node RAC database (11.2.0.3) on virtual machine (created from VirtualBox) with Oracle Linux 6.

It really is a lengthy and troublesome process.

1. ./runcluvfy.sh stage -pre crsinst -n demo1,demo2 -verbose failed on PRVF-5637

Checking DNS response time for an unreachable node
Node Name Status
------------------------------------ ------------------------
demo2 failed
demo1 failed
PRVF-5637 : DNS response time could not be checked on following nodes: demo2,demo1

File "/etc/resolv.conf" is not consistent across nodes
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I heard this is an known bug for (11.2.0.2) but not sure. I don't know if this is issue leads to other issues.

2. I run grid installer. Get 1. Warning, 1 Fail.

The warning message is PRVF-9802

Device Checks for ASM - This is a pre-check to verify if the specified devices meet the requirements for configuration through the Oracle Universal Storage Manager Configuration Assistant.
Check Failed on Nodes: [demo2,  demo1]
Verification result of failed node: demo2

Details:
-
PRVF-9802 : Attempt to get udev info from node "demo2" failed
-Cause: Attempt to read the udev permissions file failed, probably due to missing permissions directory, missing or invalid permissions file, or permissions file not accessible to use account running the check.
- Action: Make sure that the udev permissions directory is created, the udev permissions file is available, and it has correct read permissions for access by the user running the check.

Verification result of failed node: demo1

Details:
-
PRVF-9802 : Attempt to get udev info from node "demo1" failed - Cause: Attempt to read the udev permissions file failed, probably due to missing permissions directory, missing or invalid permissions file, or permissions file not accessible to use account running the check. - Action: Make sure that the udev permissions directory is created, the udev permissions file is available, and it has correct read permissions for access by the user running the check.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am very concerned about this Waring. Will this lead to RAC database installation fail later????
I have been tried to install RAC database for several times but not succeed yet.

Any comment on this? can I just proceed?

Edited by: 969880 on Nov 14, 2012 4:13 PM

Edited by: 969880 on Nov 14, 2012 4:15 PM
  • 1. Re: 11.2.0.3 grid rac install -- PRVF-9802 : Attempt to get udev info from node
    user431215 Newbie
    I've have nearly the same issue. I got the same error, except runcluvfy.sh passed. The error was reported during installation. I found a reference to bug 8726128 (see below) which is for OEL4.

However, It was the only error message I received during installation. I chose to ignore it and successfully completed the installation. You can press assuming that you’re building a training machine. Never put a production database on a virtual machine if you have any other choice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I also found the information referenced below. I'm very confident you can ignore the issue and press.

INS-20802 PRVF-9802 PRVF-5184 PRVF-5186 After Successful Upgrade to 11gR2 Grid Infrastructure [ID 974481.1]
    https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&id=974481.1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E14876_01/doc/readmes.112/e11015/toc.htm

Bug 8726128
    The following command fails for RHEL4/OEL4 system:

cluvfy stage -post crsinst

This happens because the validation of Udev attributes fails on the local node. This also results in the failure of the Cluster Verification Configuration Assistant near the end of the Oracle grid infrastructure for a cluster installation session. The detail installation log shows ERROR:PRVF-9802.

Workaround: Ignore the failure in checking Udev attributes on RHEL4/OEL4. If Udev attribute validation is the only reported problem, then the installation should be considered successful.

Edited by: 911756 on Nov 14, 2012 10:58 PM
  • 2. Re: 11.2.0.3 grid rac install -- PRVF-9802 : Attempt to get udev info from node
    884490 Newbie
    Hi,

Even i was getting the same error message. Last time when I ignored the error and went ahead with the installation, it failed.

Now again I am trying to install grid and getting the same error.

Can anyone help?
  • 3. Re: 11.2.0.3 grid rac install -- PRVF-9802 : Attempt to get udev info from node
    nnarimanov Newbie
    It seems that there is a problem with ASM disks privileges. Please check disks owner. Also there is an interesting bug, sometimes disk's owner changes to the root after each connect to disk.
  • 4. Re: 11.2.0.3 grid rac install -- PRVF-9802 : Attempt to get udev info from node
    user489552 Newbie
    After more study, I just notice OL 6.3 (on my VM) is changing my /dev/oracleasm directory permission.

I don't understand why OL 6.3 designed this way. But it becomes a factor to impact installing RAC database!
  • 5. Re: 11.2.0.3 grid rac install -- PRVF-9802 : Attempt to get udev info from node
    user489552 Newbie
    if you are install RAC on OL 6, reference to this post: http://fritshoogland.wordpress.com/2012/07/23/using-udev-on-rhel-6-ol-6-to-change-disk-permissions-for-asm/

hope it will help you! I am struggling through this.
  • 6. Re: 11.2.0.3 grid rac install -- PRVF-9802 : Attempt to get udev info from node
    nnarimanov Newbie
    Yes, you are right. But you can solve by rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/

Edited by: nnarimanov on Nov 16, 2012 9:03 PM
  • 7. Re: 11.2.0.3 grid rac install -- PRVF-9802 : Attempt to get udev info from node
    user11974810 Newbie
    I got that same error in 11.2.0.3. It's specific to OEL6 or RHEL6. I tracked down the Oracle bug. By googling. This URL got me close:

http://logicalchaos.org/blog/2012/12/cluvfy-prvf-5637-dns-response-time-could-not-be-checked/

Here's the problem. Oracle verifies the FQDN of all nodes are in DNS via nslookup:

$ nslookup <node1's fqdn>
    etc.

It also verifies a bogus node isn't in DNS via nslookup:
    /usr/bin/nslookup unknown-not-reachable-node
    ** server can't find unknown-not-reachable-node: NXDOMAIN

Here's the problem. OEL 5.8 (incorrectly) returns exit code of 0 in the above failing condition. OEL 6.3 (correctly) returns 1 in that condition.

Looking at the bind-utils RPM changelog, this nsloookup change went in for version 9.8.2-0.9.rc1.

* Mon May 07 2012 Adam Tkac <atkac redhat com> 32:9.8.2-0.9.rc1
    - fix race condition in the resolver module
    - nslookup: return non-zero exit code when fail to get answer (#816164)

In OEL 5.8, bind-utils RPM is version 9.3.6-20.P1.el5. Doesn't have the fix.
    In OEL 6.3, bind-utils RPM version is 9.8.2-0.10.rc1.el6. Has the fix.

Oracle GRID installer mistakenly interprets OEL 6.3's exit code of 1 as a problem. When in fact, it's the expected behaviour for a failed DNS lookup.

If I trick nslookup into returning the (incorrect) OEL 5.8 behavior, then the Oracle GRID installer will install.

# mv /usr/bin/nslookup /usr/bin/nslookup.orig
    # echo '#!/bin/bash
    /usr/bin/nslookup.orig $*
    exit 0' > /usr/bin/nslookup
    # chmod a+x nslookup

Now when I run the Oracle GRID installer, it installs. Also cluvfy.sh succeeds too.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points