This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2012 2:10 PM by Gary Graham RSS

IDE issue - Query Result grid is not selectable or scrollable

974065 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
A couple of days ago, after running queries via the Run Statement (Ctl +Enter), my query results in the grid are not selectable and scroll bars do not move.
I am able to run the Run Script (F5) and then the results are selectable.
  • 1. Re: IDE issue - Query Result grid is not selectable or scrollable
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi,

Not much to go on here. More details would be helpful, such as...

1. SQL Developer version and OS.
    2. JDK version. The latest jdk1.6.0 update is recommended. Avoid the jdk1.7.0 updates at this time.
    3. The connection type such as Basic, TNS, etc. Or is it a Cloud Connection?
    4. Do queries still yield a frozen/unselectable results grid from Run Statement even after exiting and restarting SQL Developer?
    5. Did you try resetting all your settings by ...
    a. Export your connections and exit SQL Developer
    b. Delete (e.g., on Windows 7) the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\systemn.n.n.n.n folder for your version.
    c. Restart SQL Developer.
    Regards,
    Gary
    SQL Developer Team
  • 2. Re: IDE issue - Query Result grid is not selectable or scrollable
    974065 Newbie
    Hi Gary,

In response to your questions, here is what I have:

SQL Developer 3.2.10.09
    Windows 7 64 bit
    jdk 1.7.0 - I can try installing jdk1.6.0 if necessary but it worked prior on this version of Java.
    Basic connection
    Yes, queries yield a frozen/unselectable results after exiting and restarting SQL Developer
    I exported my connections and re-imported them after upgrading to this version (problem originated in a slightly earlier version.
    I searched for path above but do not have \AppData folder or the other folders referenced above.

Thanks,

Steve
  • 3. Re: IDE issue - Query Result grid is not selectable or scrollable
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi Steve,

The path mentioned in (b) of my earlier post depends on your environment. It may help if you read the Help, but even that refers to an earlier version of Windows (XP). See the SQL Developer user preferences table row in
    SQL Developer Concepts and Usage > SQL Developer Preferences > Location of User-Related Information
    You also may wish to upgrade to the latest version: 3.2.20.09.87

-Gary
  • 4. Re: IDE issue - Query Result grid is not selectable or scrollable
    974065 Newbie
    My MIS department had locked down those files. Once I was granted access, I deleted the files you mentioned and also downloaded jdk 1.6.0 and now everything is back to normal. Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Edited by: 971062 on Nov 16, 2012 6:08 AM
  • 5. Re: IDE issue - Query Result grid is not selectable or scrollable
    975339 Newbie
    Hi ,

I have the same issue after resetting all my sqldeveloper settings. Here is what I have:

SQL Developer 3.2.20.09.87
    Windows 7 64 bit
    jdk 1.6.0_37
    Basic connection
    and queries yield a frozen/unselectable results after exiting and restarting SQL Developer

Thanks,
    SG
  • 6. Re: IDE issue - Query Result grid is not selectable or scrollable
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi SG,

The original poster's issue was related to lack of write access to whatever user settings home his installation pointed/defaulted to.

Your issue could be the same even though you say you reset your settings (by deleting them):
    1. Possibly you don't have write access and only thought you deleted the settings. I made that mistake before -- ran delete from the command line, assumed it worked, and didn't even look back at the console for any error message!
    2. Possibly you have write access, but that access is not entirely stable -- perhaps the settings home is on a removable or networked drive?

If either of these is true, you can override the settings home:
    Re: SQL Developer Error Creating User Home

-Gary

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points