This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2012 2:03 AM by Roger25 RSS

database vault installation

Roger25 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I have Oracle Database 11g R2 (11.2.0.3). if i want to install Database Vault, which version should i download to install it? so which ver. is supported for 11.2.0.3 version of DB?
Exactly, what should i download from here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/options/database-vault/index-090593.html ?
do i need to install any patchsets for db 11g, or something?

Thanks

Edited by: Roger22 on 15.11.2012 16:32
  • 1. Re: database vault installation
    Balazs Papp Expert
    on your link:

"Note: Oracle Database Vault 11g is part of the Oracle Database 11g download. Click here to download Oracle Database 11g Release 2."

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html
  • 2. Re: database vault installation
    Roger25 Explorer
    Hi, koszi :)
    and how can i access the administration console, or how can i start it? i should log in to Enterprise Manager? then i can create realms?

so, in 10g there are separated, and in 11 the db vault is integrated into the database? am i correct?
    Thanks
  • 3. Re: database vault installation
    Roger25 Explorer
    I have run DBCA and checked Oracle Label Security and then Oracle Database Vault, to enable them
    Now, at stage 4 of 5 is askes me for database vault owner, and password (optionally, to create a sepparate account manager). I have specified 'vault' and 'vaultmanager' as names (i choosed to create a sepparate manager account)
    Now i can login to database vault console with 'vault' user, but when i try to log with 'vaultmanager', i get:

You must have the DV_ADMIN or DV_SECANALYST role granted to your account in order to use this application.

So by default the manager cannot log in to database vault administration console?

Also, another question: when i log in to EM console with sys user, under "Server" category, i clicked "Database vault", but i got: You have been logged in to a Database with Database Vault installed on it. You do not have sufficient privileges to access the Database Vault features on Enterprise Manager. Please contact your administrator

So, sys user is unable to do database vault tasks? which privileges should i grant to sys user (fron 'vault' grantee, which is the owner)?

Edited by: Roger22 on 15.11.2012 18:41
  • 4. Re: database vault installation
    Zoran Pavlovic Explorer
    Hi Roger22,

First user you have created is Database Vault Owner user (vault), and he is responsible for creating Realms, Command rules etc in Database Vault Administrator (dva) or command line.

Second user you have created is called Database Vault Account Manager (vaultmanager), and he is responsible for creating and managing user accounts (sys user no longer can create users), and he is not supposed to log in and use Database Vault Administrator (dva).

When you configure Database Vault, SYS user should have restricted privileges, and he is not supposed to manage Database Vault *(you shouldn't give sys user any more privileges, because Database Vault Owner (vault) is supposed to do Database Vault tasks).*

Regards,
    Zoran
  • 5. Re: database vault installation
    Roger25 Explorer
    Good explanation, thanks!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points