This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2012 7:01 AM by 974290 RSS

What do I need to install?

974290 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
OK, I am an Oracle newbie here, so go easy on me. Here at my job I just got a new computer and I need to figure out what Oracle products I need to install in order to continue doing my work.

My new PC is a 64-bit Windows 7 desktop computer. It has Crystal Reports 2008 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate. Visual Studio also has Crystal Reports for Visual Studio installed. The work I do has me writing reports against the database our vendor-supplied software uses, which is an Oracle 10g database (I believe). I know that I currently use the Oracle 10g client on my old computer (32-bit Windows 7) to connect to this database.

In addition to running reports, I also have custom written console applications written in C# which query this Oracle database. It does this by referencing the Oracle.DataAccess DLL file. The version of that DLL is 10.2.0.100.

Now, my assumption was that I needed the Oracle Client installed, and since I was using the 10g client before, I looked for this again but in a 64-bit compatible version. It does not appear that this exists, or it did at one point and does not anymore. So I tried instead to use the 64-bit compatible version for 11g. I managed to get that installed and used the info from my old tnsnames.ora file to set up connections to my old production and development databases, but that was all the further I could get. I believe I also need something called Oracle Data Access installed as well, but I couldn't seem to find the right version of that.

Oracle is outside of the scope of what we normally do here in our shop, so I haven't managed to find anyone here who can assist me. I'm hoping the good folks here can tell me, based on what I have and what I need to do, what I need to install. If there is any more I can provide that will help (version numbers, etc.), just let me know. Thanks!
  • 1. Re: What do I need to install?
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    Now, my assumption was that I needed the Oracle Client installed, and since I was using the 10g client before, I looked for this again but in a 64-bit compatible version. It does not appear that this exists, or it did at one point and does not anymore. So I tried instead to use the 64-bit compatible version for 11g. I managed to get that installed and used the info from my old tnsnames.ora file to set up connections to my old production and development databases, but that was all the further I could get. I believe I also need something called Oracle Data Access installed as well, but I couldn't seem to find the right version of that.
    All Oracle 11gR2 software for Window 64-bit can be found at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/112010-win64soft-094461.html
    Oracle is outside of the scope of what we normally do here in our shop, so I haven't managed to find anyone here who can assist me. I'm hoping the good folks here can tell me, based on what I have and what I need to do, what I need to install. If there is any more I can provide that will help (version numbers, etc.), just let me know. Thanks!
    I am not sure what exactly you expect from us to advise here since no one can tell what Oracle products you need to install and you are the one who has to come up with that list :)

So, if you have any difficulties in finding any Oracle software to download, please feel free to ask your question here.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 2. Re: What do I need to install?
    974290 Newbie
    Hussein Sawwan wrote:
    I am not sure what exactly you expect from us to advise here since no one can tell what Oracle products you need to install and you are the one who has to come up with that list :)
    Really? Knowing that I need to be able to run reports against an Oracle database, and be able to write .NET applications which query against the same database, you can't advise what Oracle software I need to install? I don't know how I can come up with that list since I don't know much of anything about Oracle software. Like I mentioned, I think I need to install Oracle Data Access (ODAC), I'm just looking for confirmation that that's what is used for this.
  • 3. Re: What do I need to install?
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    Really? Knowing that I need to be able to run reports against an Oracle database, and be able to write .NET applications which query against the same database, you can't advise what Oracle software I need to install? I don't know how I can come up with that list since I don't know much of anything about Oracle software. Like I mentioned, I think I need to install Oracle Data Access (ODAC), I'm just looking for confirmation that that's what is used for this.
    Well, this post makes your question more clear to me now :)

To download Oracle Forms/Reports, please refer to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/reports/downloads/index.html

For ODAC, please refer to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-101290.html

If you need more details about those products, click on the Product and Technical Information tabs which can be accessed from the links referenced in this reply.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 4. Re: What do I need to install?
    Mark Malakanov (user11181920) Expert
    I think I need to install Oracle Data Access (ODAC), I'm just looking for confirmation that that's what is used for this.
    Although you can use MS .NET driver for Oracle, it is better to use ODAC.
    For Chrystal you probably need to install ODBC or/and OLEDB drivers that normally come with Client but may be need to be selected during installation.

PS/ you do not need Oracle Forms and Reports for your .NET and Chrystal environment.
  • 5. Re: What do I need to install?
    EdStevens Guru
    user11181920 wrote:
    I think I need to install Oracle Data Access (ODAC), I'm just looking for confirmation that that's what is used for this.
    Although you can use MS .NET driver for Oracle, it is better to use ODAC.
    For Chrystal you probably need to install ODBC or/and OLEDB drivers that normally come with Client but may be need to be selected during installation.

PS/ you do not need Oracle Forms and Reports for your .NET and Chrystal environment.
    I don't know about oledb, but the ODBC definately has to be selected from a 'custom' installation. This is where it gets a bit sticky. The only way I've found to get it right is
    1) install the oracle standard run-time (or admin, if needed) client. (I do not like their default ORACLE_BASE of a directory with the logged on username. I override that username to 'oracle')
    2) start the installer again, and this time select 'custom' install
    3) when prompted for ORACLE_BASE and ORACLE_HOME -- DO NOT accept the prompted defaults. Click the drop-downs and select the ORACLE_HOME you installed to on the first run.
    4) select ODBC
    5) continue as before.
  • 6. Re: What do I need to install?
    974290 Newbie
    Since I am on a 64-bit machine, and the ODAC link above refers to it being 32-bit, will I need to install a 64-bit version of ODAC? Possibly this?

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html
  • 7. Re: What do I need to install?
    EdStevens Guru
    MikeMcCune wrote:
    Since I am on a 64-bit machine, and the ODAC link above refers to it being 32-bit, will I need to install a 64-bit version of ODAC? Possibly this?

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html
    ODBC and ODAC are just a set of libraries. The bit architecture has to match that of whatever app will be calling/linking with them.

I have customers who use home-grown applications based on .net. since the underlying .net libraries are installed as part of Windows, I have to install 32-bit or 64-bit ODBC drivers based -- indirectly -- on the OS.

But even if using 64-bit drivers for that, if they are also running a 32-bit MS Office on a 64-bit OS, and need odbc connection between Excel and Oracle, I also have to install the 32-bit odbc drivers.
  • 8. Re: What do I need to install?
    974290 Newbie
    It looks like I may have everything I need now, I have installed the Oracle client and both the 32 and 64 bit versions of ODAC (just to be safe) and I am able to do both Crystal Reports and my .NET apps again on this new machine. Thanks a lot for everyone's help!

Edited by: MikeMcCune on Nov 16, 2012 7:01 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points