This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2012 12:19 AM by Elena.mtc RSS

Misterious "ORA-01403: no data found" error

Elena.mtc Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I've been searching through the forum and the Internet with no results, so I'm posting here hoping you can help me.

Here is the situation: I had a page 30 with a tree branching to a form on a view.This worked fine until one day that suddenly, we got the "ORA-01403: no data found" error when loading the page. I guess that's normal, since the form shows the data filtered in the tree (in the tree we click on an element and pass its ROWID to the form), and when we load the page no ROWID is selected. So, the first question would be, how can I manage this situation? My first option was to have a condition in the Automatic Fetch for the Form, so that it's executed only when the ROWID item is not null. It worked a couple of times. After a while, it crashed again.

Tired of trying things, we decided to copy this page 30 to another page (page #80). Surprisingly, page #80 worked meanwhile #30 crashed. And they are completely the same, the data has not changed either.

Could it be that page #30 somehow is corrupted? It's really strange that the same exact copy of the page works with one ID but not with another one.

Has someone experienced this situation? it makes me feel like the app is unsecure and unstable. Any ideas, please?

Apex version: 4.1.1 on APEX listener.

Thanks,
Elena.
  • 1. Re: Misterious "ORA-01403: no data found" error
    fac586 Guru
    Elena.mtc wrote:
    Hi,

I've been searching through the forum and the Internet with no results, so I'm posting here hoping you can help me.

Here is the situation: I had a page 30 with a tree branching to a form on a view.
    What kind of form? Single row or tabular?
    This worked fine until one day that suddenly, we got the "ORA-01403: no data found" error when loading the page. I guess that's normal, since the form shows the data filtered in the tree (in the tree we click on an element and pass its ROWID to the form), and when we load the page no ROWID is selected. So, the first question would be, how can I manage this situation? My first option was to have a condition in the Automatic Fetch for the Form, so that it's executed only when the ROWID item is not null.
    It's probably good practice to have this condition anyway.
    It worked a couple of times. After a while, it crashed again.
    Use Debug mode to determine exactly where the error occurs.
    Tired of trying things, we decided to copy this page 30 to another page (page #80). Surprisingly, page #80 worked meanwhile #30 crashed. And they are completely the same, the data has not changed either.

Could it be that page #30 somehow is corrupted? It's really strange that the same exact copy of the page works with one ID but not with another one.

Has someone experienced this situation? it makes me feel like the app is unsecure and unstable. Any ideas, please?
    Does it affect all users? This can occur when changes to a report (and hence tabular forms) make previously existing user preferences invalid: {thread:id=284713}

Otherwise, yes we've seen these unexplained errors before. If the debug trace doesn't reveal anything obvious and it isn't a user preferences problem, then raise an SR if you've got Oracle support. Recreating the problem region from scratch will usually fix things, which points to it being due to some kind of internal metadata corruption.
  • 2. Re: Misterious "ORA-01403: no data found" error
    Elena.mtc Newbie
    Thanks for your response. The form is a single row (a form on a table or view). Here is what I've found out thanks to your tips:

It affects to all the three users that I have access with. I used the debug mode (new to me, so I'm kind of slow on this, still) and wrote an exception message on the Automatic Fetch Row and I managed to know the ROWID that the fetch process is using in the where clause. Of course this ROWID does not exist in the table, so the first question that comes to my mind is "how come and from where is the page getting this ROWID?".

So, I made a computation to initialize to null the item that saves the ROWID, and now it worked.

This page that I'm testing on is #30, but the valid page is #80 (it has changes made on the look and feel of the page). So, I deleted page #30, and copied page #80 (which works perfectly) into #30. And it crashes again (obvius, since it doesn't have the computation that gives null to the rowid item). What's "interesting" is that I still see the exception message I wrote in the older version of page #30. So, it seems that some values need to be purged and that the delete is not clean, but how?

How do I purge the page and/or the user?

thanks
  • 3. Re: Misterious "ORA-01403: no data found" error
    fac586 Guru
    Elena.mtc wrote:
    Thanks for your response. The form is a single row (a form on a table or view). Here is what I've found out thanks to your tips:

It affects to all the three users that I have access with.
    Try it with a new user that has never accessed the page before.
    I used the debug mode (new to me, so I'm kind of slow on this, still) and wrote an exception message on the Automatic Fetch Row and I managed to know the ROWID that the fetch process is using in the where clause. Of course this ROWID does not exist in the table, so the first question that comes to my mind is "how come and from where is the page getting this ROWID?".
    I don't know and can't comment because I can't see the app. ;-)

If the ROWID is stored in an item, check the Maintain session state property isn't set to Per User.
    So, I made a computation to initialize to null the item that saves the ROWID, and now it worked.

This page that I'm testing on is #30, but the valid page is #80 (it has changes made on the look and feel of the page). So, I deleted page #30, and copied page #80 (which works perfectly) into #30. And it crashes again (obvius, since it doesn't have the computation that gives null to the rowid item). What's "interesting" is that I still see the exception message I wrote in the older version of page #30. So, it seems that some values need to be purged and that the delete is not clean, but how?
    I'm not entirely clear on what you've been doing there, but it does indeed all sound rather odd.

I suspect that you wouldn't be able to reproduce this problem on apex.oracle.com. However, it would probably be helpful if you could upload the app and provide developer credentials to the workspace so we could see how it works and if there's anything obvious (or not) that might cause this problem.
  • 4. Re: Misterious "ORA-01403: no data found" error
    Elena.mtc Newbie
    fac586 wrote:
    Elena.mtc wrote:

It affects to all the three users that I have access with.
    Try it with a new user that has never accessed the page before.
    I used the debug mode (new to me, so I'm kind of slow on this, still) and wrote an exception message on the Automatic Fetch Row and I managed to know the ROWID that the fetch process is using in the where clause. Of course this ROWID does not exist in the table, so the first question that comes to my mind is "how come and from where is the page getting this ROWID?".
    I don't know and can't comment because I can't see the app. ;-)

If the ROWID is stored in an item, check the Maintain session state property isn't set to Per User.
    I changed this and seemed to work. But it crashed later. I made a computation process to set to null the rowid's when loading the page. After reset, I deleted the computations (due to application functionality) and it worked. However, I do not trust this page anymore. So we created a new fresh app and copied this page. Luckily we are on development environment :)

>

I'm not entirely clear on what you've been doing there, but it does indeed all sound rather odd.

I suspect that you wouldn't be able to reproduce this problem on apex.oracle.com. However, it would probably be helpful if you could upload the app and provide developer credentials to the workspace so we could see how it works and if there's anything obvious (or not) that might cause this problem.
    Unluckily I cannot do this. Thank you anyway for the help, it's hard to explain when something so weird happens.

Thanks!
    Elena.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points