This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2012 6:36 AM by User518999 RSS

SmartView - One or more sheet(s) in the workbook are protected

User518999 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All -

RE: SmartView/Excel  HFM Message

Does anybody run into this error in Excel after they try to refresh the spreadsheet.

Error:
One or more sheet(s) in the workbook are protected

Thanks,
Josh
  • 1. Re: SmartView - One or more sheet(s) in the workbook are protected
    Neeraj Lahoti Journeyer
    Please check the users who are getting this error has security rights to excel
  • 2. Re: SmartView - One or more sheet(s) in the workbook are protected
    User518999 Newbie
    Hi Neeraj -

I am not sure I understand how to do that check.
    I am also getting the issue when I try to refresh the spreadsheet.

I mean " I " as the "user".

Others within the company do not get any error when they refresh the spreadsheet.

Thanks,
    Josh

Edited by: 971475 on Nov 15, 2012 1:48 PM
  • 3. Re: SmartView - One or more sheet(s) in the workbook are protected
    JTF85 Journeyer
    Are you on the same version of smartview as your coworkers that do not receive this error? In 9.3 I recall this being an issue that SmartView could not refresh protected sheets, but I believe there was a patch in 9.3.3 to correct this.

Is the sheet actually protected that you are trying to refresh? Could it be that your coworkers are using Refresh and you are using Refresh all and a sheet within the workbook is protected?

JTF
  • 4. Re: SmartView - One or more sheet(s) in the workbook are protected
    User518999 Newbie
    Hi JTF,

I am on version 11.1.1.3.00

I have scanned the discussion boards thoroughly and I did find that there was an issue in 9.3.3 or at least a known issue in a prior version that had been fixed.

This error comes up as well - Error in Grid XML: Each Dimension must be used once and only once

I have also checked with two other users and they do not experience these errors
    The error comes up whether or not I am pulling the template from FDM, Sharepoint or an Email

so in the formula bar ..it reads
    ='C:\Hyperion\Smartview\Bin\HSTbar.xla'! HsGetValue(E$10........

Does that help?

Thanks,
    Josh
  • 5. Re: SmartView - One or more sheet(s) in the workbook are protected
    JTF85 Journeyer
    Ok, couple of things that could cause your problems on that side then. First you would want to ensure your smartview is not disabled in Excel, if it has not been disabled do a find/replace in Excel to fix your links. You would Find "'*hstbar.xla!' and replace it with blank. If for some reason this does not turn out well when it's displayed on here, an alternative way of completing this is selecting Data->Edit Links and changing the source of HsTbar to wherever you installed SmartView, there's a folder called named Bin and within that folder is the HsTbar.xla portion of the Smart View add-in.

Regards
    JTF
  • 6. Re: SmartView - One or more sheet(s) in the workbook are protected
    User518999 Newbie
    Hi JTF -

The sheet is protected so I cannot replace the links.

I wanted to share this ID below -

This looks real promising -      

Smart View Financial Management Functions are Preceded by the Full Path to HsTBar.xla [ID 827523.1]     

Thanks,
    Josh
  • 7. Re: SmartView - One or more sheet(s) in the workbook are protected
    JTF85 Journeyer
    That .bas in the knowledge document, would essentially do the find/replace for you, I would be surprised if it worked on a protected sheet. Does manually updating the link using the second method I provided work on the protected sheet? If it does not, I may be out of options for you. To be honest I've always found the way SV works with protected sheets to be a complete pain in the neck, what I've had to do in the past with protected sheets, is create a macro to un-protect the sheet, refresh the file, and re-protect the file. It's not an elegant solution at all, and look forward to hearing back if you have some better luck.

The best bet is to ensure everyone has Smart View installed to the same location, but I've had bad luck with sharepoint still working with this. So if everyone has Smart View installed to C:\Hyperion\SmartView the links should update and work automatically, however 11.1.2.2 changes the default install path to C:\Oracle but the key is a consistent location where smartview is installed.

JTF
  • 8. Re: SmartView - One or more sheet(s) in the workbook are protected
    User518999 Newbie
    Thanks JTF

I know the users are pulling the sheets from FDM, or SharePoint.

JTF Says, "Does manually updating the link using the second method I provided work on the protected sheet? If it does not, I may be out of options for you".

Josh says, "No I cannot edit links".

I really appreaciate your help here.
    I will definitely let you know if this solution works.

Thanks,
    Josh

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points