This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2012 8:51 AM by Shivananda Rao RSS

rman issue try to resolve :  no backup on all dbfil

9233598 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have backups for several days, I want to restore the one I backed up to a local disk as backup pieces in format %U.

How do I do that?
  • 1. Re: how to restore rman backed up backup pieces?
    Shivananda Rao Guru
    Hello,

I don't think it is possible for you to restore only the backups that are created with format "%U" and this is what is your requirement if I've understood your question correctly. Normally RMAN backup pieces are created uniquely with the %U format. Look out for the most recent L0 backup and the corresponding L1 backups to restore it to have the most recent data.

Refer this on the steps of how to perform the restoration http://shivanandarao.wordpress.com/2012/04/19/duplicating-primary-database-to-a-new-host-without-connecting-to-the-primary-database-in-oracle-10g11g/
  • 2. Re: how to restore rman backed up backup pieces?
    9233598 Newbie
    THe reason I have been asking is :

during my duplication to target db , until time, I kept getting the following error for every datafile:

RMAN-06023: no backup or copy of datafile 27 found to restore
    RMAN-06023: no backup or copy of datafile 26 found to restore
    RMAN-06023: no backup or copy of datafile 25 found to restore
    RMAN-06023: no backup or copy of datafile 24 found to restore
    RMAN-06023: no backup or copy of datafile 23 found to restore
    RMAN-06023: no backup or copy of datafile 22 found to restore
    RMAN-06023:

However If I take set until time off, the duplicate worked fine.

How do I fix this issue?
  • 3. Re: how to restore rman backed up backup pieces?
    Shivananda Rao Guru
    It may be a reason where in the backups that you have do not fall under the time that you mention in the "set until time" and the backups might the most recent ones which causes the duplication to fail. With just the duplicate, RMAN duplicates the target database to auxiliary with the most recent data on the target database.

Also, might be that even if you have the backups that fall under the "set until time", they might have turned out to be obsolete. You can try cataloging the backups and then perform the duplication by setting the "until time" clause.
  • 4. Re: how to restore rman backed up backup pieces?
    9233598 Newbie
    How do I catalog in the auxiliary? It kept saying database is not mounted.
  • 5. Re: how to restore rman backed up backup pieces?
    9233598 Newbie
    RMAN> catalog start with '/stage';

using target database control file instead of recovery catalog
    RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
    RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    RMAN-03002: failure of catalog command at 11/17/2012 12:10:24
    ORA-01507: database not mounted
  • 6. Re: how to restore rman backed up backup pieces?
    Shivananda Rao Guru
    Hello again,

Catalog the backup pieces that have become obsolete and fall under the specified "until time" period on the target database and not on the auxiliary database. The target database would become aware of these backups and when you start the duplicate by connecting the target and the auxiliary instance (specifying "until time"), RMAN would look out for these backups and perform the duplication.
  • 7. Re: how to restore rman backed up backup pieces?
    9233598 Newbie
    I am doing backup based dupliation. which means I made a rman backup first on the source, then move the backup pieces over to the auxilary, then do duplicate.

Here is the one from oracle doc:

Backup-Based Duplication Without a Target and a Recovery Catalog Connection: Example

In the variation of Example 24-1, shown in Example 24-5, RMAN does not use a TARGET connection to the source database or a CATALOG connection to a recovery catalog. All backup and copies necessary for duplication until November 11 of 2007 at 2:00 PM, including a control file backup or copy, have been placed under /prod_backups.

Example 24-5 Duplicating a Database Without a Target and Recovery Catalog Connection (Backup-Based)

DUPLICATE DATABASE TO dupdb
    UNTIL TIME "TO_DATE('11/01/2007 14:00:00', 'MM/DD/YYYY HH24:MI:SS')"
    SPFILE
    BACKUP LOCATION '/prod_backups'
    NOFILENAMECHECK;

Note the following characteristics of Example 24-5:

The database name is not specified. By not specifying a database name with the DATABASE keyword, DUPLICATE obtains the database name and DBID from the backups. An error is displayed if backups for more than one database were found in the BACKUP LOCATION.

Use of the BACKUP LOCATION clause identifies the type of duplication as backup-based with neither a target connection nor recovery catalog.

The UNTIL TIME option is specified. It is the only UNTIL subclause permitted with the BACKUP LOCATION clause.

The NOFILENAMECHECK option check is specified because it is necessary when the duplicate database files use the same names as the source database files.
  • 8. Re: how to restore rman backed up backup pieces?
    9233598 Newbie
    Can you help here? i got to have this test refreshed over the weekend, but nothing happens so far.
  • 9. Re: how to restore rman backed up backup pieces?
    9233598 Newbie
    The reason to use this is we need to restore to the point of time.
  • 10. Re: how to restore rman backed up backup pieces?
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;

Not sure about your exact error, but if you want a RMAN refresh step by step I have one here :

http://www.visi.com/~mseberg/rman/restore_database_without_catalog.html

Note 130724.1 RMAN-06023 Recover from Missing Datafile that is Never Backed Up
    Note 782317.1 Rman-06023 encountered during duplicate to point in time after datafile was added
    Note 135630.1 RMAN-6026 RMAN-6023 Restoring Database
    Note 779558.1 Cannot restore incremental backups using tag when datafile has been added

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 11. Re: how to restore rman backed up backup pieces?
    9233598 Newbie
    Per oracle note: 965122.1

If I took a backup on Nov. 16, It seems I canot restore it to nov . 15.

That is very strange.
  • 12. Re: how to restore rman backed up backup pieces?
    mseberg Guru
    Hello again;

I have a rule :

If something is giving me too much resistance its time to try something else.

While the exact answer is interesting you have to ask yourself what your time is worth and balance that against getting the job now.

I have given you a tested second option. Please consider it.

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 13. Re: how to restore rman backed up backup pieces?
    9233598 Newbie
    There is no way around it. We have to recover to the point in time per business request.

I already read through all those links of how to do duplicate, etc.
  • 14. Re: how to restore rman backed up backup pieces?
    mseberg Guru
    You may be between a rock and a hard spot.

Depending upon your version this may help :

Rman Duplicate Fails With RMAN-05556 RMAN-06026 RMAN-06023 on 11.2.0.2 [ID 1377760.1]

Best Regards

mseberg
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points