This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2012 8:59 AM by rp0428 RSS

Is there a way to control PUBLIC access?

alarzabal Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I just realized we have a LOT of stuff granted to PUBLIC for different reasons. Is there a way to prevent a user from accessing objects who have "wide-open" access to PUBLIC?

Thanks,

A.
  • 1. Re: Is there a way to control PUBLIC access?
    Justin Cave Oracle ACE
    Other than revoking the grant to PUBLIC and granting access only to those users and/or roles that need it, no.

Well, I'd wager that you could probably purchase and install Data Vault and figure out a way to effectively revoke access to an object that is granted to PUBLIC but that would be a confusing (and expensive) architecture. And it would be a bit like swatting a fly with a hammer in that Data Vault is overkill for this sort of thing.

Justin
  • 2. Re: Is there a way to control PUBLIC access?
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    I just realized we have a LOT of stuff granted to PUBLIC for different reasons. Is there a way to prevent a user from accessing objects who have "wide-open" access to PUBLIC?
    >
    If you plan to revoke privileges from PUBLIC you might want to take a look at Pete Finnigan's blog about some of the issues you might have if you revoke privileges from public and issues in keeping those privileges revoked.
    http://www.petefinnigan.com/weblog/archives/00001220.htm

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points