This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2012 12:51 PM by 595061 RSS

OracleXETNSListener - Problems starting under Windows 8

595061 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Folks

Just migrated to Windows 8 and reinstalled the OracleXE112_Win32 install (which worked fine on the same machine under Windows 7). When I attempt to run the 'Get Started....' icon (pointing to http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950) I get 'Page cannot be displayed ' and on further investigation this appears to be down to the fact that while service OracleServiceXE is running the OracleXETNSListener service isn't.

I've tried staring the service manually however when I do I get this message

+"The OracleXETNSListener service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."+

with the same message being returned when I change the properties of the OracleXETNSListener service from 'Automatic' to 'Manual' and again try to start it manually.

I've reached the limits of my admittedly meagre knowledge of these things so any advice on how to resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Colin Nicol
  • 1. Re: OracleXETNSListener - Problems starting under Windows 8
    Paul M. Oracle ACE
    Just migrated to Windows 8 and reinstalled the OracleXE112_Win32
    Windows 8 has just been released, no wonder that it does not work...

See System Requirements for XE 11g.
  • 2. Re: OracleXETNSListener - Problems starting under Windows 8
    595061 Newbie
    Thanks for your input Paul however as the pre-migration checks indicated that, unlike some other pieces of software, Windows 8 didn't have any compatibility issues with Oracle Database 11g Express Edition the assumption would have to be that if it was OK for Win 7 then it should+ be OK for Win 8. This is supported by the fact that the service does start - its the immediately closing down again bit that's the problem here :).
  • 3. Re: OracleXETNSListener - Problems starting under Windows 8
    orafad Oracle ACE
    The earliest version to support Win 8 / 2012 might be 11.2.0.4, per SOD document:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/tech-info/sod-oracle-db-win8-win2012-1853201.pdf

XE prod release is 11.2.0.2 and also there are no patches for XE so you won't be able to patch the server to whatever version required.

Best bet is to stay on Win 7 and wait for a later release of XE, if there will be one.
  • 4. Re: OracleXETNSListener - Problems starting under Windows 8
    595061 Newbie
    Thanks for that - wish XE had been incompatible with Win 8 as I would have held off the migration until XE was OK with it.

As it is I've done the deed and after spending a good few hours on it yesterday I'm not inclined to attempt to roll back to Win 7 at the moment so I guess that means that my tinkerings with Apex will need to stop until a Win 8 version of XE is released.

In the mean time is there anywhere that this thread can be posted to so that others who perhaps depend on XE a bit more than I do can be made aware of the pitfalls of migrating to win 8?

Thanks again

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points