This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2012 7:23 AM by 974640 RSS

Regarding Endeca softwares

974640 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Can someone please give me difference between the various Endeca softwares in the market. I understand that Endeca information discovery mainly a BI tool extended from Endeca latitude. However as per documentation it has its own MDEX engine and studio and integrator

a) Is the Studio different than the developer studio?
b) Can I purchase both Endeca information discovery with Endeca guided search and integrate them? If so are there any components that are common?

Regards,
SS
  • 1. Re: Regarding Endeca softwares
    Branchbird - Pat Journeyer
    The links Carrie posted in this thread has some of the information you are looking for:

Need some help and guidance.

To answer your individual questions:

a) Yes, they are completely different. Developer Studio in the Commerce world (i.e. what you use to build your index) is replaced by Integrator in the EID world. EID Studio is a pre-packaged extendable web application that is configured per application to allow end users to analyze their data.

b) Yes, you can (and many customers do) purchase both. Think about a commerce company that sells their products online and also wants to do sophisticated analysis on their sales data or supply chain in the back office. I don't think there's much of a case for "integrating" them together as the MDEX engines that underpin each solution are on very different code bases. Functionally, they share a common ancestor but implementation-wise, they are optimized for different scenarios and the code bases are separate.

HTH,

Patrick Rafferty
    http://branchbird.com
  • 2. Re: Regarding Endeca softwares
    974640 Newbie
    Thanks Patrick for your reply,

So as a company I buy both the products does that mean

a) I need to ensure that the feeds (structured and unstructured) are pushed separately 1) To the endeca guided search MDEX via pipeline and 2) to the MDEX engine for Endeca discovery via integrator.
    b) Also as per documentation all the key capabilities of Endeca information discovery are purely from information that business requires from the inputted data and nothing to do with the online website where the search is hosted?

Regards,
    SS

Edited by: 971637 on Nov 16, 2012 9:30 AM
  • 3. Re: Regarding Endeca softwares
    Both products support structured and unstructured data.

I don't know of any implementations that has required both products. If you have a use case that is geared towards that, I would be curious but you really should be engaging with you account/partner rep to be sure.
  • 4. Re: Regarding Endeca softwares
    974640 Newbie
    Hi Patrick,

On a little deeper thinking, i was wondering if i am using guided search for ecommerce search functionality and using MDEX 6.3 for indexing the content. How can i make use of the information discovery framwork? As you mentioned its a totally different implementation how will i integrate my website search data with the discovery tool if the underlying MDEX is different?

-SS
  • 5. Re: Regarding Endeca softwares
    A couple quick clarifications just to keep my answer in context...

It sounds like you're looking at using Guided Search, not Endeca Commerce on your customer facing website. That's completely fine, I just want to confirm that you'll be doing this and not using Endeca Commerce (very similar to Guided Search but includes Experience Manager and other tools). Note that the version of the MDEX that you download from e-delivery on the Guided Search side is actually 6.2.2, the same concepts apply though.

For your data discovery application, you'll be using the EID product which runs on a different version of the MDEX, has a different ETL tool (EID Integrator), etc. So, if you're looking to make use of the same data in both applications, you would index it separately for each application. You should be able to utilize whatever feed/database/data warehouse that is feeding your commerce app in EID, assuming that's what your goal is.

Patrick
  • 6. Re: Regarding Endeca softwares
    974640 Newbie
    Hi Patrick,

Appreciate your quick response.

We are looking to use guided search, however we are also thinking of making use of experience manager for our implementation.

I now understand the data discovery application and how it can be leveraged. What got me confused is the below article which states "Oracle Endeca Information Discovery consists of Oracle endeca server which can be used for Search, Guided Navigation™, and analytics capabilities."

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E29805_01/general.230/eid_quickstart/toc.htm#Overview%20of%20Oracle%20Endeca%20Information%20Discovery

As per my requirement I want search/guided nav and analytics, and site traffic analysis for our e-comm application along with a BI tool for our backend data analysis. After reading this article I was wondering if I can make use of one product, i.e. Endeca information discovery to meet my requirements.

-SS
  • 7. Re: Regarding Endeca softwares
    920261 Explorer
    I think you might be interested in looking at [Oracle Endeca Commerce Business Intelligence|http://www.oracle.com/us/products/applications/commerce/endeca/endeca-commerce-bi/overview/index.html]. It is built using Endeca Information Discovery behind the scenes, but is tailored to analyzing e-comm data. I don't actually know much about it because it's not in my line of business, but it sounds like what you're looking for. You might find people more knowledgeable about this product in the [Endeca Experience Management|https://forums.oracle.com/forums/category.jspa?categoryID=514] forum.

Dave
  • 8. Re: Regarding Endeca softwares
    974640 Newbie
    Why is that the guided search has MDEX 6.2.2 and not MDEX 6.3? As far as i see its always preferred to use the latest version? what is the difference in the two versions and between Endeca guided search and Endeca commerce products?

-SS
  • 9. Re: Regarding Endeca softwares
    That's a great question, SS. I was curious about that myself.

However, you might get an answer more readily in the other Endeca forum as the Product Management team for Guided Search/Commerce monitors that forum more closely:

Technical Questions

The version of the MDEX that backs Endeca Information Discovery is on a different code base and is neither 6.2.2 nor 6.3.0.

Regards,

Patrick
    http://branchbird.com
  • 10. Re: Regarding Endeca softwares
    974640 Newbie
    Thanks Patrick,

I have raised this query on the other forum as well.

-SS

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points