This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 3:15 AM by aLuViAn RSS

ORA-01031

aLuViAn Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I know the title shows an "obvious" ORA error, but I tried to connect to the db I just created, under oracle dba user (I'm sure about the group and user, I've done the database creation more than 100 times here) and it gives "Insufficient Privileges" error. We use a script for our database creation, which does not create sqlnet.ora file at all (there is none under $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin, listener and tnsnames are there).
Can someone give some tips and hints over the issue? I'm totally frustrated with this problem.
  • 1. Re: ORA-01031
    Girish Sharma Guru
    By default, if you install Oracle and don't use the network configuration assistance you get a ORA_HOME without an SQLNET.ORA file. Without it, Oracle will not be able to use O/S authentication.

To solve this problem, simply create a file named sqlnet.ora in your ORA_HOME\network\network\admin directory and add to it the following line:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)

Source:http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/david/ora01031-insufficient-privileges-upon-instance-startup-13759

But, due to frustration you forgot to mention below info too : :)

1.How and when you are getting this ORA-01031 ?
    2.Can you post output of env | sort command ?
    3.whoami, id commands of oracle user.
    4.Oracle version and OS info.

Regards
    Girish Sharma
  • 2. Re: ORA-01031
    aLuViAn Newbie
    Well, Im using 11gR2 on RHEL 5.4

Actually I found a workaround for the problem. I've changed the places of some database files (for backup and recovery reasons) and they cause the oracle to throw insufficient privileges error.
    Now its working fine, I should look deeper inside the file system. Maybe some problem with read/write/execute permissions on database files.
    BTW, though its off-topic here, but I'm trying to run some scripts from another remote server on this database and it throws an "invalid username/password" error. Any hints?

Thanks anyway!
  • 3. Re: ORA-01031
    Shivananda Rao Guru
    This is with respect to the ORA-1031 error. If you have created the sqlnet.ora file, then add the entry SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NONE) as you are on RHEL platform.

For the "invalid username/password", it looks like you are trying to connect with wrong password. Try connecting with the right password for the right username and that should resolve it.
  • 4. Re: ORA-01031
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    ORA-01031: “insufficient privileges” error occurs when you attempt to execute a program or function for which you have not been granted the appropriate privileges.
  • 5. Re: ORA-01031
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;

Please review:
    OERR: ORA 1031 "insufficient privileges" [ID 18622.1]

Regard
    Helios
  • 6. Re: ORA-01031
    aLuViAn Newbie
    Thank you all for your informative posts.
    The situation is resolved now, I don't get any other errors on connecting to DB from sqlplus.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points