This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 7:27 PM by don123 RSS

sub view

don123 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
hi,

i have one parent entity and around 50 child entities. i want to group 50 child entities in 5 categories and create separate logical and relational models with data modeler.
every category will have around 10 entities but will have common and single parent entity as mentioned above.
i want to show parent entity and 10 entities in sub-view in data modeler, hence 5 subviews, but physical model should have only one parent entity.
how to do this ?? please advice.
can i use subview to create sub models like this ??

regards
  • 1. Re: sub view
    Kent Graziano Oracle ACE Director
    Yes subviews would be the way. Simply select the master entity and the 10 associated ones, then right mouse click and pick the option to create a subview from the selected objects. You can do that as many times as you need. No need to copy or clone the parent entity. No need for separate logical models. Subviews are a great way to group entities and still have them in one model.
  • 2. Re: sub view
    don123 Newbie
    Thanks..

I am able create subviews.
    When i create relational model from logical, should i use main logical model or subview ??

regards
  • 3. Re: sub view
    Philip Stoyanov Guru
    When i create relational model from logical, should i use main logical model or subview ??
    It depends on what you want to do. If you want all objects to go into one relational model then use main logical model, otherwise if you want objects represented in specific subview to go into separate model then you need to create new relational model and engineer subview to that model.

Philip
  • 4. Re: sub view
    don123 Newbie
    Thanks Philip

In all my subviews, there is one parent table exists. It will cause duplication of entities in relational and as well as physical models if use subviews in forward engineering.

I think i should use main logical model. Do you have any suggestions..??

regards
  • 5. Re: sub view
    Philip Stoyanov Guru
    subview is used as additional filter on set of objects included in engineering. If one entity is presented in 10 subviews and you engineer each of them to the same relational model only one table will be created for that entity.
    So you can use subviews and there will be no duplication in the scope of one relational model.

Philip
  • 6. Re: sub view
    don123 Newbie
    Thanks for support.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points